what exactly happens with the taptic home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

When I press on the home button, what exactly happens? Does the button actually press downward at all, or is the vibration just mimicing that? Where does that vibration come from? It's like magic.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

There is no mechanical button at all and no movement. It is just triggering the vibration. Pretty close to magic.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Nope, the button does not move but the haptic motor kind of gives the sensation of it being pressed. I love it over the old home button. Nothing to wear out and it works so well. Hate to give that up for face ID.

4. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

When you press down, depression sensors capture microscopic differences in the distance between the glass and the sensor, and signal the Taptic Engine to vibrate, the Taptic Engine vibrates by an electrical charge running between the magnets which oscillates the eletromagnetic field and causes the magnets to move due to repelling and attraction when the magnetic field oscillates. These magnets physically moving causes the vibration through the phone.

Something like that.

Also, I believe that Apple created sounds for the Home Button presses, so they also trigger the lower speaker to give off these sounds when you press the button.

5. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Try it when your phone is switched off. You can feel then that there’s no mechanical movement at all. It feels quite strange to do that. It’s very clever how they got it to feel like a physical button.

6. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

Totally fixed. It's incredible, really. It's essentially impossible to tell unless you turn the phone off and push it! Apple absolutely nailed it when it came to the implementation of the haptic home button.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Keep pressing the home button while the phone shuts off. After a few seconds, the taptic response will stop and you'll really get a good idea of what's happening. :)

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There are people in jail as we speak because the brain is so easily fooled.

9. oplix Suspended

oplix

ya the home button is actually really lovely with the haptic engine

10. serialiphoneuser macrumors member

The fake home button doesn't even feel close to the real one on the 6/6S

11. oplix Suspended

oplix

you would be the minority of having a button fetish. im pretty sure the revision is just objectively superior in every way.

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I know; it feels better! :D

13. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I absolutely love it. While it doesn't feel exactly the same as the older home buttons, it's very close and you get used to it really quick. That said, it isn't as good as the haptic feedback on the MacBook Pro but this is likely due to the size constraints

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It Actually feels strange without using the Haptic button anymore on an older model iPhone. What I like about it, is when you push the haptic home button, it's less travel from when you actually had to use the physical home button to push down. So it's a much faster, more responsive method as well.