What exactly is an Apple Store employee's job description?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rampant.A.I., Oct 9, 2009.

1. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.

The majority of them are not knowledgeable at all about the products they're selling, and give out mistaken advice like it's gospel truth instead of asking someone who knows better than they do.

Even the folks at the Genius bar repeatedly turn down repairs that I know for a fact are covered by Apple. I've walked after a disappointed customer many a time to encourage them to call 1-800-SOS-APPL after the Genius Bar told them Apple won't repair something I know it will.

Every time I go into an Apple store I see herds of them standing around, occasionally asking someone if they need help, then ignoring the next 3 people who walk up and ask for help by walking into the back room.

In fact, when my week-old Mac KP'd recently, I had to talk to 3 separate employees before one of them would actually set up a Genius Bar appointment for me, after I'd repeatedly explained that the only computer I had to set up the appointment wasn't starting up!

And even then, it took telling them that if I couldn't get my new computer looked at that day, I might as well return my entire purchase and take my business elsewhere.

I have a lot of experience working retail, and I may not be the easiest customer in the world to work with sometimes (see above) but I honestly have to wonder how some of these people stay employed.

Is Apple looking more for image when they hire over customer service and knowledgeably?

Is this just my region?

2. scottsdomain macrumors member

Since you ask is this just my region, where is this?

3. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

I think of all the computer manufacturer's, Apple is the only one I know of where they have technical support in the retail store as opposed to having you call the support line and ship the computer to them (you can do this with AppleCare also, or having the machine sent to a local depo). You went in the store knowing that Apple is appointment based for Genius bar appointments, yet you are complaining when there isn't a Genius available because they are all booked up for the day. So you're saying that they should just push aside all the other folks with issues, who booked an appointment ahead of time, just to look at your computer? :rolleyes:

4. Rampant.A.I. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm saying if you sell someone an expensive machine and it breaks less than a week later, you don't ask your repeat customer to wait 2 days to have their new machine looked at.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but there's a difference between expecting your customers to be reasonable, and failing to provide customer service to someone who just spent a sizable amount of money at your store.

You know, I am sorry to put extra burden on the techs, and I apologized and thanked the guy for taking time out of his busy day to take a look at my machine, but there's no reason for a manager to shrug and say "wait two days for an appointment" after they've just made that kind of money off you.

It's easy to dole out moral judgments like that, but I find it pretty hard to believe you'd be as patient as you say in the same situation.

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Two days is reasonable if they are booked up.

Did you try looking up any Apple authorized repair partners in the area? That is certainly another option. They may have more immediate availability.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you are an uber geek, then it's quite easy to say that the Apple store salespersons are not knowledgeable. However, for a typical customer, they are reasonably good. Not every sales person will know everything.

7. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

I apologize, it was late at night and I skipped over the part where you said your machine was only 1 week old. If that was certainly the case, then you did not need a GB appointment. Apple's return/exchange period of 14-days meant you could've demanded on the spot a brand new computer in exchange for the DOA machine that you got.

If they forced you to make a appointment for the issue, then by all right you should complain and definitely send an email to Apple. Again apologies for the misunderstanding.