Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dblake2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2023
I've got a iphone 5c which I'm thinking of upgrading to a 15.
Wanting to transfer my data I looked closer at backups & am confused by what I see.
the iphone sez 12Gb capacity, 2Gb available thus 10Gb used. iclound backup sez 72Mb of 5Gb used.
72Mb seems awfully low. I'm mainly interested in backing up contacts/phone numbers & mp3'a
tranferred using itunes.
I have a suspicion the mp3'a aren't being backed up as I have ~20 albums on there.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've got a iphone 5c which I'm thinking of upgrading to a 15.
Wanting to transfer my data I looked closer at backups & am confused by what I see.
the iphone sez 12Gb capacity, 2Gb available thus 10Gb used. iclound backup sez 72Mb of 5Gb used.
72Mb seems awfully low. I'm mainly interested in backing up contacts/phone numbers & mp3'a
tranferred using itunes.
I have a suspicion the mp3'a aren't being backed up as I have ~20 albums on there.
I did a Google search for "what is in an iCloud backup" and this was the first link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428
Music files are not backed up in iCloud.

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
Hello. If your phone is showing 2gb available then it isn’t going to back up into iCloud unless you upgrade your iCloud storage to 50gb (at .99). That’s the reason your seeing 72mb, there’s no room to fully backup that device. As the previous poster stated, your mp3 albums will not be backed up and will need to be synced again to the device using the same iTunes Library that was used originally. Hope this helps.

dblake2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2023
I bought 50Gb of space & did another backup.
the new backup size is 80Mb.
I only use this phone for emergencies & other than music I only have a couple dozen
contacts/phone numbers & a couple email accounts that I don't usually check.
would that fit in 80Mb?

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
Yes. That would definitely suffice. Just make sure to double-check your iCloud settings and confirm you‘ve got everything selected that you want backed up. Settings>general>iCloud.

dblake2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2023
ok, thanks for the info.
I'll find out for sure when I get a new phone & restore.
I wish you could see what is in the cloud.

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
You can log into iCloud on a computer and see things like contacts, calendar, notes, photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.