What exactly is bloated about iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DockMac, Aug 25, 2011.

1. DockMac macrumors regular

I've seen time and time again that iTunes is bloated. I feel it too, but I can't necessarily pinpoint it. What exactly is bloated about iTunes?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't find anything bloated about it. It runs fine for me, without putting too much demand on the system.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Agreed. It runs just fine on my 2006 Mac Pro with a standard SATA hard drive.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The only thing that makes iTunes "seem" bloated is the amount and differing types of data in a users library.

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I find that iTunes has difficulty handling libraries with 10 000 + files

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't find that at all, and mine is more than triple that size.

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Should I blame Windows then?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Absolutely! You should always blame Windows! :D

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I had massive problems w/ iTunes under windows- I have about 20,000 files and iTunes would just choke and refuse to synch my other devices. I have 0 problems w/ the same libaries on my Mac. My unscientific conclusion is iTunes Windows blows cookies and iTunes Mac Rocks. If I was cynical, I would think it was deliberate to get Windows iPhone users to buy a Mac.

10. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I might have to agree with you

11. Lvivske macrumors regular

Hopefully the next iteration of iTunes is better optimized to work with Windows' file system

I barely use my iPod anymore, and don't own any other devices that require it, but despite the harsh criticism of iTunes I still find it to be a terrific music library / player

12. radio893fm macrumors regular

Bloated? I wouldn't know since I have not done benchmarking which some people have and came to the conclusion that it was bloated.

Annoying? Yes. Ping for once is the most annoying "feature" ever. Everytime I buy something I have to close that thing over and over again.

iTunes DJ is another super failure. Genius too.

So what people really say is: we want less, which is more in this case.

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

No idea. I have it open or running all of the time and it barely uses any resources; if anything, it's the lightest thing I run (browsers use up a lot of RAM as I have multiple tabs open all of the time).

Meh, I think people who complain have slower machines (I have the 2011 MBP so that might be a reason I don't have any problems).

14. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I have over 20,000 song and hundreds of apps and neither my pc or my mac have ever struggled to manage them. I use to use iTunes for all my movies too but i prefer to keep them all in .avi now, saves a lot of space when you get a big collection.

15. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

it runs fine for me with an 09 macbook - 4 GB and 2.26 C2D - lion. Sometimes I have to wait 1.5 seconds for a click to respond, but it's no big deal

16. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Exactly the same hardware here and it runs fine, always has.

17. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I find the experience is poorer on Windows. On Macs its fine, on a PC it feels like a poorly executed java app written in the late 90s.

Almost like how RealPlayer 8 was on a G3 iMac with OS 9.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Generally you will find people have issues with iTunes on Windows, not sure if its Apples programming or Microsofts OS, but its not the same seamless experience as it is on a Mac unfortunately.

iTunes on Windows also tries to install Quicktime and Safari so that may be what people refer to.

19. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Aye, it does have problems on Windows (can't really blame Windows for that, other apps work fine, it's a case of poor porting), but surely if Apple want to persuade people to buy Macs then the one Apple app people on Windows use is Apple's showcase! It should be the best they can make it. A crap iTunes for Windows is more likely to put Windows users off switching than persuade them to do so!

I have problems with iTunes on Mac anyway. Everything is fine and snappy except updating the metadata on things, which can take a couple of minutes (either for one file or a bunch, doesn't seem to matter). I have a few hundred gb of data in there (mostly TV programmes), I think its metadata db is poorly optimised, but that's just a guess.

20. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure increasing the speed of the drive or using a SSD would solve that problem; but yea, the only times I see lag or anything is when I'm editing metadata, probably due to the fact that you're writing to a lot of little files that aren't just sitting in one spot on the hard drive.

21. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Add me to this conclusion. I have had many issues using iTunes on windows, but on the Mac it is smooth and easy...