What exactly is BOOM?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kristenanne77, Sep 25, 2015.

1. kristenanne77 macrumors regular

I see ads for BOOM but really can't figure ouit what it does. I mean, the mac plays sound, so what does BOOM do that makes it special.... I mean, why would someone want to use it? Just trying to understand.

Thanks
    K

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

3. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I have it installed on my cMP 5.1 running OS X 10.10.4! Great app icw Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. Great equalizer to spice up and boost the output, never understood why Apple never bothered to make a built-in OS X one!

Highly recommended!

Cheers

4. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Because this is Apple. Audiophiles are supposed to use their own hardware (a DAC, an amplifier, headphones or speakers). Sound engineers are supposed to use their own hardware and software with low latency drivers and output algorithms, bypassing OS X completely. Non-pro consumers are not supposed nor expected to mess with the way the MacBook is designed to sound. I'm sure dozens of Apple's engineers spent dozens of hours designing the audio to sound and perform exactly this way. A speaker is a pretty fragile thing and "spicing up" the sound a bit too much can easily damage it. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, but in my opinion audio systems and equalizers are a thing better left alone by the general public.

5. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Thanks for your reply and infos, TOUTOU!

I'm indeed a non-pro user, so I don't have a DAC or separate headphones amplifier. Still I like a bit of a 'better' - I know that ofcourse a subjective thingy - sound output from the onboard soundcard in my Mac Pro 5.1.

Cheers