what exactly is jailbreaking all about?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by faramade, Nov 4, 2007.

1. faramade macrumors newbie

ok i feel a bit stupid but could someone please tell me what jailbreaking is about and what it does?thanksxxx

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Sure. :)

Basically, Apple restricted the iPod Touch in order to avoid cannibalising iPhone sales, as the two products were very similar. The iPod industry is stable, whereas the iPhone is new, so Apple needed to reinforce it.

So they released the iPod touch with a few apps, but some vital apps were missing, such as a dedicated Mail application. The iPod touch has wifi - so why not include a mail app?

People consequently hacked the iPod touch, through an easy interface (Search for iJailbreak, for example), in order to get the extra applications, plus more third party applications, like Notes, games, as well as customisable themes, etc.

It's definitely worth a consideration, it's not too hard to do, and my iPod touch hasn't been bricked (as in, rendered obsolete) by the hack.

3. faramade thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

congrats for bothering to take the time for that post

5. net26 macrumors member

i, too, am thankful for that reply, and would also like to know if syncing with itunes is in any way hindered on jailbroken iPTs. or is it that i just shouldn't update the firmware when itunes prompts it? a lot of questions :D getting my touch tonight, and am going to use it mainly for safari and mail... and to watch an occasional movie on the go.

thanks

n

6. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

No problem. :)

I am sick of people saying "Use the search function!!!", there is nothing wrong with asking questions.

Syncing with iTunes is 100% fine with a hacked iPod.

Best advice for updating the firmware is to wait around a few days - see how it works for other people. It may brick your iPod (although this isn't permanent, you can restore the iPod), even if it doesn't brick others.

Remember, you can still access Mail via the web interface, if you aren't too keen on Jailbreaking.

The experience for me has been fine, I've had no problems. Just remember that all in all, it is a third-party hack, things can go wrong.

Also, be sure to look out for negative problems on your screen when watching movies - like the black on the screen appears negative or something.

And a lot of people are experiencing problems with Safari while playing music. Sometimes it crashes, or the song just randomly stops. This happened to me before I even used Jailbreak :D, it's not too big a deal for me, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Enjoy your iPod.

7. net26 macrumors member

thanks dude, you rock! :D

n

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

9. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

No problem. Did you get the iPod? How is it?

I've seen some of your posts around the forum. They build a nice picture of you. :)

10. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

haha, i have my moments that im not very proud of

11. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

So do I, but at least we can admit them.:D

It's all good. :)