What exactly is Radeon ram for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by futurejetblackowner, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    I could choose between a 2017 model with 4gb of Radeon RAM and 512 ssd or a 2016 model with 2 gb RAM and 1TB

What do y’all think?

The only game I really play is The Sims 4, but I do want to pursue video editing and music production. I’m just wondering if that’s worth sacrificing twice as much storage for $100 cheaper

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

It’s the video card memory. Anything that uses the video card will use this memory wether it be a game, 3D modeling etc. the more the better for complex scenes.

I doubt it makes much difference for the sims. It might make some difference in video editing depending on if they make use of the video card for processing. Video cards are very fast at math. Many people use them to do bitcoin processing. So it doesn’t have to be a 3D game type of software to benefit.

Personally I’d always get the best video card but in your case you may benefit more from a bigger ssd.

3. ahmedouvix macrumors member

ahmedouvix

having 2017 256gb and radeon 555. i'd pick the highest storage i can afford then think about the gpu. i don't think the 2 gb vram will make more difference than extra 500gb storage.

4. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

Do y'all think it matters if the 1tb computer is the 2016 model?

Additionally, I maxed out my last Macbook 128gb but that was after 2.5 years, I keep my iTunes library and photos on my computer, and The Sims 4, as well as documents for school but that's about it.

What makes this decision so hard for me is that I don't know which thing I will use more. My family's desktop which we've had for 7 years and are still using hasn't even used 300gb of data yet. I'm looking to keep this labtop for about 7+ years.

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I don't think there is much difference between the 2016 and 2017 models except for minor spec bumps. I actually have the 2017 512gb ssd and 4gb radeon pro 560. It is work issued and replaced a 2015 model. It doesn't feel a whole lot faster than the older one.

The biggest difference to me in the 2015 and 2017 is the graphics card. The newer one runs much cooler. Even in this, there is little difference between the 2017 and 2016.

7 years and not used 300gb of data is unimaginable to me :D

There are a few things to consider and only you can decide:

If you don't think you'll change your data usage pattern (i.e. 300gb in 7 years) then you probably don't need 1tb on a laptop.

If you absolutely positively WILL (not just thinking about it someday) get into video editing, know that this takes up a lot of storage (I'm sure sound production is similar but to a lesser extent). Even if you plan to archive the videos to some external hard drive, you'll want to work/edit from the faster internal ssd. So bigger ssd is better.

7+ years is a long time. Check how long apple supports machines recently. This might give you an idea if the older model will still be supported toward the end of your planned ownership. The 2016 model is already 2 years into its support cycle.

6. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

Most people who are into that video editing and music production keep their files on external drives, including professionals which I don’t mind doing.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2018 ---
    Also where do you work where you’re being given a top-of-the-line macbook