what exactly is registering a laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emir, Apr 12, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

hi everyone i am a pc user for 10 years and i am 18 :) I am going to switch to a Mac, probably Macbook Pro 15 inch on July. Thing is i was watching this macbook pro first boot up video on youtube and on one part it said don't forget to register. What is registering?

i mean i am not living in Usa, i will ask a friend of mine to bring one when coming home here, far far away from usa. Would that be a problem to use? i mean not being from usa? i don't want any problems to occur when the nearest tech support is thousands of miles away.

thanks for your answers.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's easier for Apple as they can then check the serial and see who owns it. AppleCare (=warranty) is universal so if your country has authorizes resellers, they will help if you have no Apple.

Registering is always recommended

3. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

my country is turkey and we don't have official apple. We have apple stores, they are called premium resellers. They sell it for much much much more money than usa, more than 2 times of the price that is why i am going to buy from usa. but apple care is extra money right? and will my friend register in store in usa? does he have to be usa citizen or anything? please help with this. i am getting scared of not buying from usa for 1799 and getting it from here for 3499!

btw i asked one of those premium resellers if they have warranty for the ones purchased from usa, employee said that only if you have receipt/bill from usa.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

All Macs come with 1-year warranty (AppleCare) which can be extended to 3 years by buying an AppleCare Protection Plan (also known as just AppleCare).

Ask from the reseller are they authorized and do they so warranty repairs. You can also check Apple's site if they have a phone number where you could call and tell them your situation and are there any shops which offer AppleCare repairs in Turkey.

Nothing wrong with buying from USA, you just have to check few things. And yes, it can be registered in Turkey (AppleCare too) even if it was bought from USA

5. sh0vel macrumors member

sh0vel

It's a good idea to get the AppleCare, there is no Apple Stores in my country just a Premium Reseller and they charge a lot to fix anything without AppleCare. I recommend getting just it for the peace of mind in case anything goes wrong.

And like Hellhammer said register it (if you buy the AppleCare and the MBP at the same time it is automatically registered) and keep the receipts safe.

6. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

They repair in warranty i asked that in store but i am more concerned about registering. what exactly is that? and the stores in turkey have warranty support for a year if you have receipt or bill from usa apple store taken when buying. They don't accept serial number!:mad: I don't want any problems, is it legal and normal for a person with no usa citizenship, a tourist, walking into an apple store, buying a mbp and using in his/her country with no problems at all.

I have no problem with english, it doesn't have to be turkish :)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Registering means that they can type serial into search and it will come up with owners information if it has been registered. You don't HAVE TO do it but it doesn't harm anything.

There is nothing wrong to buy from US and then take it to Turkey

Call Turkish Apple support and ask about the warranty because they will look at the serial, not the receipt. All countries have their own policies because of laws etc

8. sh0vel macrumors member

sh0vel

9. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

i logged in to my apple id, and it asked my country, i chose turkey and it said there are no apple care for your location. What do i do? does this mean i will not be able to use macbook pro here?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It means you can only get the 1-year warranty what the reseller offers (or if they offer their own extended one). That means Apple doesn't offer repairs in Turkey, they are done by resellers. Don't buy the AppleCare as you can't use it but save the receipt so you can use the 1-year warranty with the reseller

11. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

ok, i will use the reseller one year warranty with the receipt but is registering still a problem? What about registering?

sorry for asking so much question and thank you very very much for answering patiently.:eek:

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can register without any problems. You can't just register the AppleCare (the 3 year extension, sold separately) as there is no support for it in Turkey. We have the same thing for iPhone here in Finland, I can buy the AppleCare from e.g. UK but I can't register it as Apple and resellers only offer 1-year warranty with no possibility to extend it

13. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

ok thank you very very very very much. To sum up all the things;

-I can get a MBP from usa without citizenship and use it in turkey with no problems
    -If a problem occurs i can use 1 year reseller warranty with receipt.
    correct me if i am wrong

one more question:eek::eek:, would there be any problems regarding software because of location? with mac os x i mean. not supporting a feature because i am not usa. Apple does it all the time to outisders of usa, that's why i am asking. I mean not using all software hardware and additional applications full capacity.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, if that's what the reseller said

Well, applications don't know are you in US or Turkey, or even in Mars :p

All apps will work flawlessly at full speed and capacity.

15. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

i asked it because for example the iphone has location limitations. I mean you can't download and use if you are in a country which doesn't have official iphone(Turkey is supported for almost 2 years now, but it was like that before that date) I mean they can do that again for example when updating mac os x.

what would you advice me on selecting country on first boot up. Turkey or USA? does it make any difference.

again so sorry for asking this much, i swear this is the last one.:eek::eek:

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iPhone is different as it's controlled by Apple and you can only download stuff from App Store.

There are Macs sold in Turkey and Apple even has official Turkey site (see link above) so just select Turkey. Shouldn't make any difference, you'll get all updates anyway

17. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

thank you again. that clears a little bit of dust in my head. There are still a lot of dust to be cleared till july though. :D:D

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, feel free to ask if you have anything in your mind, that's why we are here :cool: