What exactly is the Logic Board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Oct 30, 2011.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So my card reader stopped working, so I brought it in to the Apple store. They said they need to replace the Logic Board, so they'll send it in. My question is, what does that all entail? I don't quite know how the Apple portable computers are built. Am I just getting a new motherboard, or is like everything inside being replaced? I.e. CPU, Ram, etc etc.

Also is it likely at all that Apple will just decide to give me a new Macbook Pro instead?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. simsaladimbamba

The logic board is the entire mother board, with CPU and GPU.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ahh ok cool.

So, is there any chance they'll just give me a new one at all?

I just really want a new one haha..

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Unlikely. Swapping out a logic board is not a huge undertaking.

Here's an idea: if you want a new computer, BUY one.

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well yes, I realize this.

I am just being hopeful. I could buy another one, but I don't feel like paying $2500 for a speed boost. Plus my one year Applecare warranty is almost up. :)

7. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

You'll be lucky to get a new one, maybe only if Apple sees no fix for your MBP. they'll probably not replace the RAM (unless that's what's causing the issue), the only piece of hardware that is replaced (based on your story) is the logic board. The HDD, optical drive and battery will most likely be intact. Did you make sure to back up your data before sending it in?

Attached Files:

8. simsaladimbamba

Then get Apple Care, and ask Apple, if the new logic board extends your warranty for another year.
    Before you get your MBP replaced, one component (except the HDD and RAM I guess) has to be replaced at least thrice.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'll give you a new motherboard with the same CPU that it originally came with (unless they don't make your particular CPU anymore, which in this case is unlikely).

I had a problem with a MacBook Air where Apple replaced the display, top case, motherboard, and SSD. That's every part of the computer except the battery. I asked Apple why they didn't just replace the computer. They told me that's how procedure works; they can't replace your computer until a certain numbers of repairs are done.

10. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok. Thanks. That's what I figured, I just thought maybe. ;)

I didn't have time to backup before they sent it in actually. I did a backup maybe 2 weeks before though....When I brought it in, I didn't think that they would have to send it in just to get the card reader fixed. Everything else was working so I didn't think it was going to be that big of a repair.

Apple wouldn't extend the warranty for a new logic board would they?

Yea, I had my 2 year old Macbook Pro replaced almost a year ago due to the Superdrive not working at being replaced 3 times. It was quite nice to get a new one for free. That's when I realized I'm never switching back to PC. :)

Really? That's odd. I understand waiting until something minor breaks a certain number of times (like the card reader), but that just seems ridiculous.

11. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snarky. There is a fine line between hopeful jesting and a feeling of entitlement. I am a new MBP owner and have read several threads here alone from people asking if they can take advantage of their AppleCare policy somehow by breaking their computer on purpose just for a free upgrade to a new model.

Nobody feels like paying money for something that they potentially could get for free through fraud or exploitation of a loophole. I'm not saying you would do that but there appears to be plenty of Apple owners who would.

12. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Wow, what an outrageous procedure, they replace the product after certain number of repairs? Many people have got a replacement for it. Someone earlier on the threads here explained how Apple replaced his REFURB iMac for a brand new one just because it had a small speck on the screen! Seeing as how you've had issues with all parts of the laptop they shoul d have offered a replacement. I never recalled this in Apple's policy.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Although the prices Apple charges everyone for parts is pretty high, Apple does not pay those prices and therefore it's much lower for them.

14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Yea, I suppose that's true. It is ridiculous how much they charge for repairs out of warranty though. Looking at my Genius Bar receipt, if my Macbook Pro wasn't under warranty, it would have costed me $526.50 to replace the logic board. All for a broken SD card reader.

Thank God for Apple Care.