Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I am a adult student and this fit exactly what i am looking for.

I have a powerful Mac desktop and powerful PC for that matter. I wanted a lightweight durable laptop to tunnel to my main desktops and to give me a way to surf the web, run non gaming apps away from home between classes. I have no Mac laptop so this was a good choice for me. Currently I live off my iphone for some of that this will be a great extension of that. I just happen to be in the market for a notebook and was days away purchasing a MB when the air was announced, so i am ecstatic.

So it fits a niche and in the end fills a hole they had in their notebook line.

Surely you can't be serious! This laptop doesn't have an optical drive!!!! OMFJD!!!! How can you watch a dvd on it??!!? This isn't a student or professional laptop because it doesn't have an optical drive!!!!

Just kidding of course. I'm still having loads of fun making fun of people who use that excuse. I plan on buying one myself and I go to ITT Tech. :)

phoxrenvatio

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
students? surely you cant be serious

being in college myself, there is no way the mba would prove wise compared to the mb or mbp at the price

i'm a student, and no my parents wouldn't be paying for it, and i think it'd be useful. i'm savin' up for it and an imac, and i dont see wut the big deal is. it is not meant to be someone's main/only computer. it is meant to be a secondary computer. you don't always need the fastest, and most expandable thing with you, this is the computer you take with you enough that it becomes a pain to always be plugging in/out of things.

phoxrenvatio

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Value is relative, and different for everybody. Probably not a good idea to judge people you don't know.

Having disposable income and buying something just because someone feels like it aren't bad things. Everyone's priorities are different, as they should be.

It's almost as if everyone here thinks Apple screwed them by "wasting" their design effort on something for "poser" computer users. Not every product has to be perfect for everyone and not everyone needs the fastest computer with the most ports.

amen to that

phoxrenvatio

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
idk if anyone remembers this, but in the months leading up to the MBA announcement, with rumors circling around about an ultraportable, people were saying how they wouldn't mind paying a premium for a computer with less, as long as it was smaller/lighter than current models(MB/MBP). they hoped it wouldn't have an optical drive, ect.

now the device they prayed for is here- and everyone hates it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
idk if anyone remembers this, but in the months leading up to the MBA announcement, with rumors circling around about an ultraportable, people were saying how they wouldn't mind paying a premium for a computer with less, as long as it was smaller/lighter than current models(MB/MBP). they hoped it wouldn't have an optical drive, ect.

now the device they prayed for is here- and everyone hates it.

Come on dude, read between the lines, they don't hate it, they want it, it's just that when Apple makes something new that satisfies people's needs they complain because they can't think of anything to complain about. After a couple of months of complaining go by those same people become buyers of the product.
Then after they get it they complain on the forums that it's too hot, the battery is okay but not perfect, complain that the palm rests get dirty, complain that the aluminum is too cold at times, complain that they wish Apple made the keys aluminum color and not black.
They do all but return the computer or sell it. The world is for some reason turned on by creating drama.
My thing is, if you really don't like something a company has designed but you want it to be better build it yourself and shut the hell up.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i'm a student, and no my parents wouldn't be paying for it, and i think it'd be useful. i'm savin' up for it and an imac, and i dont see wut the big deal is. it is not meant to be someone's main/only computer. it is meant to be a secondary computer. you don't always need the fastest, and most expandable thing with you, this is the computer you take with you enough that it becomes a pain to always be plugging in/out of things.

if you read my posts thats what im saying...

Datagears

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Surely you can't be serious! This laptop doesn't have an optical drive!!!! OMFJD!!!! How can you watch a dvd on it??!!? This isn't a student or professional laptop because it doesn't have an optical drive!!!!

Just kidding of course. I'm still having loads of fun making fun of people who use that excuse. I plan on buying one myself and I go to ITT Tech. :)

Lol.... That is why i mentioned the "adult student part" and that I had other PC's. If I didn't already have a 24" iMac at home I would never have considered this notebook. And I would never recommend this notebook to anyone who didnt' already have a primary machine.

I was a database designer for ten years before I went back to school. I am very particular about a machines having everything for the money you spend. But you don't buy a toaster to make you steak. Some people will buy this because it exactly fits their needs. I am part of demographic Apple was looking at. Sure people will buy it because it is cool looking. That actually was not a deciding factor for me. I like it's case more than the polycarbonate case. To get the alluminum case you had to go with a MBP, which i didn't need. I can't tell you the last time i needed to watch a DVD from a laptop (unless it was a trip). Alot of my course work at UW is web-based content as well as research and everything on campus is wireless.

So who is the target demo....
People who have money to spend on a secondary machine. That need portability and are highly integrated into wireless world.

Is that your normal student. No. But it is useful to students who have a need and can afford it.

Isn't that the Apple company Motto... "We market to people with money"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.