Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I've recently realized that sometimes usage time is incremented even when my phone is on standby. This doesn't always happen, but seems like so when MxTube runs in the background to play videos, but even when paused.

I deleted the app, but I still get some increased counts since my last check. So that got me thinking, what is usage time exactly ? If apps check for location while on standby, is that usage time as well ?

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I've recently realized that sometimes usage time is incremented even when my phone is on standby. This doesn't always happen, but seems like so when MxTube runs in the background to play videos, but even when paused.

I deleted the app, but I still get some increased counts since my last check. So that got me thinking, what is usage time exactly ? If apps check for location while on standby, is that usage time as well ?

Usage is anytime that the phone is not a sleep.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Anything that happens in the background is also usage. So if you have background app refresh that might be doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.