What exactly is VLC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kapalua12, Apr 6, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty new to OSX and keep hearing about VLC player but do not want to put anything on my new iMac that might cause problems. I also have a 2010 i7 iMac with DVD drive.

What do people use VLC player for that OSX does not natively do? The same goes for "PLEX". What does that software do?

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

VLC is a player that plays more different codecs than the native QuickTime Player does, hence the reason you see it mentioned a lot. Oh, and it's free, too.

3. eco7777 macrumors regular

4. Mr. McMac, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Agreed. I've been using it on both Mac's and PC's for several years. I love it.

5. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Plex is a multimedia manager intended to be the centerpiece of a home theater. Say you have a Mac Mini which you have all your media on–music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks–then you plug it into your TV and use Plex as a front-end interface to listen to all of it.

It may be a little more than you need at the moment, though.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

This is going to stick in my brain better if I know what the letters in the acronym stand for. Video LAN _____ is all I could find, leading me to another acronym(!) which I think stands for Local Area Network?

English, where are you?
    I don't speak the Codec. ;)

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Video LAN client

9. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

And one of the major advantages, especially when somebody like you is new to the Mac, VLC is able to play .wmv files - which Quicktime can't if not Flip4Mac is being used.

So with Quicktime AND VLC, you should be in good shape.

10. kokako macrumors regular

what are they? serious! c'mon download them take a look, do some homework experiment yourself, what are you market research? yeah ofcourse you are conducting market research that's a given.

11. Xe89 macrumors regular

Wow, have you been living under a rock? Sure, there are good alternatives but VLC is the de facto standard player of mkv files and others on both OS X and Windows. It is about 100 years old and there is no way you can not know what it is – at least if you're not new to computers in general.

Found this link btw about VLC...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

12. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information and for the motivation! Also, for the delicacy of the response.

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Spoken with class. Nice job.

/Jim

14. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Plex has both a video/audio server app as well as a client app. Additionally, you can play movies from a Plex server via your web browser.

I have the Plex server app on my Mac serving up a movie library that I can play via wifi on my Samsung smart TV (installed the Plex app on it) as well as my iOS devices anywhere (the app is not free). It works great for us.

15. Austin Karl macrumors newbie

Video Lan Client (VLC) is an open source portable media player that functions compatibly with various audio and video files including streaming protocols and is now becoming a household name. :p

16. fabiettomac macrumors newbie

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Have you looked at the sites for both of these? They have plenty of info on there as well.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    http://www.plexapp.com/

No need to fear it. If you want to check out VLC then download and install it. If it causes problems then remove it.