Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I like to compare Android vs IOS to cars.

Android is like GM (or the old GM). Tons of cars. Some are great with all the specs and some GM cars exotically on the cheaper end that suck.

iOS is like a German car family. They only have 3-4 models per manufacturer for the most part. But those cars all have the same or similar fit and finish.

So if u buy an android device make sure u get a high end device. But many people can get away with buying am older iOS device that can still function well.
Your analogy is flawed. If iOS were a German car, it may look nice, but it would be missing the seats and only be able to make left hand turns. The following year, you would get one seat, but you would be told which one. After 4 years, the car would look the same and finally match what GM had from the get go. Only now, those GM cars are able to hover above the ground.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Your analogy is flawed. If iOS were a German car, it may look nice, but it would be missing the seats and only be able to make left hand turns. The following year, you would get one seat, but you would be told which one. After 4 years, the car would look the same and finally match what GM had from the get go. Only now, those GM cars are able to hover above the ground.

Read this while at work, everyone turned and looked at me when I burst out laughing.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Assault that was a good one and yes I'm about to far a cheap android phone and decide it I want to ditch iOS due to limitations.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Not flawed.

GM and other American car makers suffered greatly especially through the 70s, 80s and early 90s because they didn't fix inherently wrong with the car. Camino. Pinto. Even the Jeep Grand Cherokee still had major mechanical issues through the early 2000.

An old car manufactuer engineer told me their bosses told them to work on the next model and just ignore current failings of the current model (sound familiar? With Android manufactuers leaving consumers behind with no official updates)

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
The way you mark the "S" upgrades as small is sad.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
One example of an app that can play almost anything video service in background:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.asbit.pvstar&hl=en

And for combined playlists:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLnJlYWwuUmVhbFBsYXllciJd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wOSwiY29tLmJzcGxheWVyLmJzcGFuZHJvaWQuZnJlZSJd (can play even files from rar archives and connected USB drives)

Sentinelsx,

Thank you for your informative reply. Sorry I was too busy and didn't manage to find time to look into this until now. BSPlayer seems to be doing what I wanted to do. I'm really happy to see this. :-D

But I'm unable to get the Pocket Skip Track to work with it. Is it supported?

Thanks.

Last edited:

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
One word for you: Tasker.

Thanks for the info.

I'm now trying to configure this. Does anyone know if these hardware events supported?
1) Long pressing of volume +
2) Long pressing of volume -
3) Very long pressing (alternatively double/triple pressing) of home button. (Note: In iOS, Activator could differentiate between long pressing and "even longer" pressing of home button. I'm not sure if there is something similar in Android)
I only see the camera button (which does not exist for Note 2), and Long search.

What I like to do with Tasker are as follows:
Regardless of whether my music/video player is in the foreground, background, or the device switched off,
a) When "very long" pressing (or double/triple pressing) the home button (just realised that long pressing of home button is already used), I want to toggle between pause and resume playing
b) When long pressing the volume + button, I like to skip to the next song/next video
c) When long pressing the volume - button, I like to go back to the previous song/video.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
It is open, easy to dev for, options, you can basically do anything. They phones are far more powerful that apple phones. Its coding is Java instead of a variation of c. Android has googles ui thing, but can be changed, and most good androids are faster.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Pocket skip track does not seem to work with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Any Note 2 users having this problem?

Unfortunately, this application does not seem to have a pause/play control using hardware button. It could only skip and repeat (if I could make it work on Note 2 that is).

I don't have an android phone on me at the moment. I am planning to pick up a GS4 in the coming weeks, so once i do get it i will definitely be trying this or similar app and report back in :)

Until then i hope there are others who use something similar and can help.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Thanks for the info.

I'm now trying to configure this. Does anyone know if these hardware events supported?
1) Long pressing of volume +
2) Long pressing of volume -
3) Very long pressing (alternatively double/triple pressing) of home button. (Note: In iOS, Activator could differentiate between long pressing and "even longer" pressing of home button. I'm not sure if there is something similar in Android)
I only see the camera button (which does not exist for Note 2), and Long search.

What I like to do with Tasker are as follows:
Regardless of whether my music/video player is in the foreground, background, or the device switched off,
a) When "very long" pressing (or double/triple pressing) the home button (just realised that long pressing of home button is already used), I want to toggle between pause and resume playing
b) When long pressing the volume + button, I like to skip to the next song/next video
c) When long pressing the volume - button, I like to go back to the previous song/video.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This doesn't answer your question but something like wave control might work well for your needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5NYXJrc1RoaW5rVGFuay5XYXZlQ29udHJvbCJd

This would let you pause, skip forward or backward by waving your hand over the phone's proximity sensor when the screen is off.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
iOS is like a German car family. They only have 3-4 models per manufacturer for the most part. But those cars all have the same or similar fit and finish.
iOS bears more resemblance with Porsche than a German carmaker. A lot of Porsche cars look like a Carrera 911 because, well, their design language takes a lot of cues from that one solitary model. iOS is like that.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Just buy a Nexus 7 8gig from craigslist for cheap. I picked one up for $120 with official case and it was in perfect condition. I already have a Note 2 but I wanted a hobby tablet and the Nexus 7 fits the bill. Plus you get GPS from the start. No need to buy the LTE version like you have to with the iPads. I mounted that bad boy to my motorcycle and I can see the screen in bright daylight; something my Note 2 can't handle (but the blacks are so excellent on the Note 2).
Android is cheap to dip your feet in. The Nexus 7 would easily break you in. But be warned that 2013 phones offers a better experience. The one year old Nexus 7 just does it cheaper and is an excellent value if you can find one around $120 or lower.
My motorcycle is in Android green; lol.

Attachments

• 20130630_225920.jpg
    20130630_225920.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
This doesn't answer your question but something like wave control might work well for your needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5NYXJrc1RoaW5rVGFuay5XYXZlQ29udHJvbCJd

This would let you pause, skip forward or backward by waving your hand over the phone's proximity sensor when the screen is off.

Hi Jeffe,

Thank you for taking the time to response.

I just tried out the free version. Unfortunately I could not get it to work. It has no problem registering the waving of hands, and the application does display the Next, Previous, and Play/pause status. However nothing happens other than that. I tried it out on the video player and music player on the Note 2 without success.

Another problem is that the applications supported does not include BSPlayer (not sure about the Pro version though).

Conceptually, I still would much prefer music control by hardware button, because I'm used to just placing my fingers on the volume buttons while holding the phone before I fall asleep.

----------

Any other "Activator" like tweaks that anyone could suggest? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
[/COLOR]
Just buy a Nexus 7 8gig from craigslist for cheap. I picked one up for $120 with official case and it was in perfect condition. I already have a Note 2 but I wanted a hobby tablet and the Nexus 7 fits the bill. Plus you get GPS from the start. No need to buy the LTE version like you have to with the iPads. I mounted that bad boy to my motorcycle and I can see the screen in bright daylight; something my Note 2 can't handle (but the blacks are so excellent on the Note 2).
Android is cheap to dip your feet in. The Nexus 7 would easily break you in. But be warned that 2013 phones offers a better experience. The one year old Nexus 7 just does it cheaper and is an excellent value if you can find one around $120 or lower.
My motorcycle is in Android green; lol.

Damn ... You got a tablet mounted. Looks larger than a 7 inch. Must be awesome for GPS use. I mount my S4 the same way.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
What's the difference between iOS & Android?

Everything.

They are two distinctively different platforms. Each must be learned before one can be fair to themselves. There's no way to compare them until you've owned each and had the personal experience it takes to make an intelligent choice.

Relying solely on others feedback or trying any phone out at your carriers is to significantly cheat yourself .

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
iOS has a more polished and coherent design, but Android is just so much more versatile and capable. It's on a totally different level.

A small example:

This weekend I was in the countryside and wanted to watch a streamed games tournament (MLG, 250000 concurrent stream viewers) on my Note 2. Hadn't brought my laptop. But it turned out they had shut down all streaming to mobile devices due to advertising issues. Bastards!! I was really bummed, and so were thousands of others who had planned to watch this on their tablets and phones over the weekend.

But guess what? I found a free Android app - Streamie - which accesses streams pretending to be a PC, using Flash. It worked, not a single glitch, and I could watch the whole thing with perfect quality.

Those iOS users though.....not so much :D

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
This is another key difference, which is another reason why my Note 2 would never be used as my main phone.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/01/most-popular-android-app-caught-harvesting-users-contacts-facebook

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
What's the difference between iOS & Android?

Everything.

They are two distinctively different platforms. Each must be learned before one can be fair to themselves. There's no way to compare them until you've owned each and had the personal experience it takes to make an intelligent choice.

Relying solely on others feedback or trying any phone out at your carriers is to significantly cheat yourself .

Perfect. :)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
iOS is like a Buick. It draws the older crowd.

Rather harsh, yet very true.

The older demographic feels "young & hip" when being seen with an iPhone they barely understand. It's a good place for Apple to be, as they too are aging.

Once hyper focused on cutting edge technologies, now they are content with the royalties off yesterday's work. With a very Pro-Apple contingent of followers, they are very busy managing the current legal assaults they've launched. Always the master of polishing their public persona, Apple will enjoy the momentum they've built for a bit longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.