What exactly will be the total price charged to card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by james92se, Oct 8, 2011.

1. james92se macrumors 6502a

Pre-ordered on AT&T's site. In the SAME e-mail it says that the total charged amount at time of shipping will be $567.99

It then also goes on to say that the $18 will be charged on the the first AT&T bill. Then it mentions "applicable taxes" but doesn't elaborate. So will my debit card be charged $567 or $549 or some other amount that includes "applicable taxes"

I don't remember ever getting charged taxes when I ordered from Apple in the past. Or could I possibly be charged tax this time since it's through AT&T instead of Apple?

I'm thinking the total charged to my card should be $549 - but wanted to make sure.

Sure wish I could've just went through Apple but the Apple site was forcing me off my $5 text plan. :(

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

$18 is the upgrade fee that will be charged to the bill. You pay whatever amount you paid when your preordered (price in email).

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

my charge for the 199 iphone 4s is 217.xx. i ordered though att over the phone.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Apple charges tax, as well. You'll get charged the price of the phone, plus whatever sales tax you have to pay in your state. The $18 upgrade fee will be on your AT&T bill the first month.

5. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

I live in Dallas and while we have sales tax here I am almost positive I've never had to pay tax on my phones pre-ordered through Apple.com in the past.

Now, would AT&T charge tax in a situation where Apple doesn't?

6. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Your debit card will be charged $549 + taxes based on your billing zipcode. Just lookup your tax rate and add that to the $549 to find the total.

The other poster is correct that the $18 Upgrade fee will appear on your next AT&T bill. Also note that this first bill may be higher than you expect due to prorating of partial billing for current service / features and prepaying for the next month of service. AT&T now bills ahead not for last month's charges.

Dave

----------

No.

You will be charged sales tax by both AT&T and Apple based on your address since they both have operations in Texas.

Dave

7. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great so this is going to cost me $612 total instead of $549.

I guess I was wrong earlier. I just looked through my e-mail to find my order confirmation from Apple in June 2010 at my pre-order and they did show estimated tax.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Why don't you just check your debit card or bank account online? My charge showed up seconds after I placed the order.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My probably is my credit card was charged Los Angeles County Tax 8.75%, but my receipt and email state Ventura Country Tax(Where I live) 7.25%. Guess I'll have to wait till It clears to see what is going on. Kind of a pain...

10. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

When I ordered the iPhone 4, Apple indeed charged me sales tax. iTunes also charges me sales tax on any app I buy.

11. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I ordered a 64GB from AT&T, and live in Illinois. The total charge was $424.99 plus the extra dollar they charged at the time of purchase. So, $425.99.

12. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I did - and nothing.

Besides, the AT&T clearly stated that I won't be charged until the phone ships and I guess I didn't get in soon enough and it says my phone won't even ship for 14-21 days. I'd rather them just go ahead and charge me now to be honest.

But like I said earlier I found my old order confirmation from June 2010 and I indeed was charged tax so my question has been answered.