What EXACTLY will the cracktivated iPhone NOT do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Sep 19, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I have decided (i think) on an 8Gb iPhone over a 16Gb iPod Touch (too many touch problems)...

I don't want AT&T (or Tmobile) for that matter-- so I plan on using my iPhone as a better iPod Touch with camera/speaker/AC adapter and not as a phone.

1) Anyone think the Independence program will no longer work following the next iPhone firmware update 1.1.1? I know Apple doesn't want people to use other carriers and unlock the phones, but just activating the non phone functions shouldn't matter to them, right?

2) What EXACTLY doesn't work with the fake activated iPhone? I know no phone functions work. YouTube is working on wi-fi now? Would that Navizon WiFi gps thing work?
    Has aanyone made a list of what else may not work or work poorly?

Thanks!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. jnolas2 macrumors member

I believe that most of the functions will work other than the phone stuff. You could use WiFi for Safari, Google Maps, and anything else that could need Internet.

I'm thinking that the Navizon GPS thing wouldn't work because you wouldn't be receiving a cell phone signal without being connected to any phone network. It uses the cell towers to triangulate your location, so I don't think it would work without some sort of cell phone service.

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Everything works after using independence, aside from being able to make calls obviously, or any kind of mobile web without wifi.

Whos to say if the current version of independence will work the same after the update, but Im sure there were be a new version along shortly if not. Keep in mind, if you buy an iphone soon it will still have the older firmware, so independence will be able to activate.

As far as 3rd party apps, what will work or wont work, I cant say, Im not into that.