What exceedingly nerdy things do you do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mentaluproar, May 20, 2012.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Let's describe some of the nerdy things we either do regularly or have done in the past. I can only think of 2 at the moment, thought there are definitely more. Total geek here.

1. On dating sites, I calculate BMI. Not just look at weight, but actually do the math.

2. I bring my iPad to a local gay bar on the slow nights, hide in a quiet area, and read the news. The ethanol-enhanced news, flavored just the way I like it, with the soundtrack of angry drag queens fighting in the next room and a drunken landlord complaining about "all these young people." This is my happy place. If approached and asked what I am reading, I will give a thorough explanation on the article, rather than a summary. Inversely, I avoid the busy nights because dealing with multiple people is not my idea of fun. Small crowds, please.

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

You don't seem social......

On topic I build my own computers and upgrade my computers on my own that's all...

3. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I'm not anti-social. Large crowds mean I have to remember names and recognize lots of people. I also have to pander to idiots. In that smaller setting, there are fewer people to handle, and the only ones that carry a conversation are the ones smart enough to talk to.

4. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Apologies I see what you mean:eek:

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Uhm, why?

You go to a bar to sit in the corner read your iPad? That's not really nerdy so much as socially awkward.

Also add "be judgmental" to the list.

Well done.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

7. MacRy macrumors 601

MacRy

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I used to contribute and edit Wikipedia a lot. I stopped because I became sick of all the rules and regulations that went with it.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

-I listen to game soundtracks more than "real" music.
    -I build+mod arcade sticks.
    -My girlfriend and I time sexytimes for fun. Average sesh is 1 hour 16 mins.
    -I like to multiply numbers in license plates when on the bus/train.
    -On a holiday to a lovely desert island resort off the coast of Africa some years ago I spent my time writing up design documents and speed of things in Pokemon (how long it takes to walk 10 steps, how long a transition into a building takes, time from battle start to first attack collision).

11. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Arcade sticks eh? Where abouts are you based? A few years ago my friend got me really into beat 'em ups and we would go do Neo Empire events playing 3rd Strike and KOF. It was an awesome year at 6th form, a bunch of us would leave at lunchtime (we usually had free last periods for "studying" and come back to my house to play. Very nerdy. Even now occasionally we will meet up and have a session. I really wish I hadn't sold my arcade sticks of the time though. I had the first version of the Hori Real Arcade Pro with red Sanwa parts, and a dual-modded Virtua Stick HG. Man those were cool. When I started playing again last year I brought one of those Madcatz Tournament Edition sticks which is OK but not the same...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Englandshire my good sir, a land where nobody bothers with arcade sticks.

13. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

14. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

- I educate my friends on old video game consoles during events where I have gathered information, documentaries and, if possible, properly themed food.

- I spend hours upon hours researching how to upgrade old computers without even owning them.

- I mostly talk with my girlfriend through MSN. And we're living together.

- I really like to sort shelves. I don't care about regular stuff laying around, but when I see many of the same things (like games, DVD's, books) I love to sort them in different ways. Maybe that's why I worked as a librarian for a while.

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I keep a spreadsheet of the dates I've replaced light bulbs by location in our house.

Now, this is not as strange as it sounds. It started when we were having the house built, and a friend said, "Just wait until all your light bulbs burn out at about the same time." I thought I'd test her on that, and, as I had a list of the fixtures and the wattage limit for each (useful information to have) I put it into Excel. It has helped me decide to replace some bulbs with a different type for longer life expectancy. Eight years on, there are still some plain old ordinary incandescent bulbs that are still burning, have never been changed. But, no, not all compact fluorescent bulbs are as long-lived as advertised.

Ok, maybe it is strange that I've kept doing it once my firend's premise was disproved. There was no overall pattern. It's just that some fixtures are harder on bulbs than others. She must have gotten lucky. I've also added lines for when batteries in our smoke detectors and our "weather station" (indoor/outdoor temp., humidity) were last replaced. It helps to know that too.

16. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I also find alphabetizing things very satisfying. All my books are quite nicely organized. :)

You, good sir, are awesome! :D I love this idea, and when I end up getting a house of my own, I'd love to do the same (provided I still remember by then :p).

Don't know if it directly counts as nerdy, but I also love and adore my job, and probably end up putting in a lot of extra time reading cool/relevant scientific articles, partially in my free time...

17. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I do that too! Which soundtracks do you like? I like the xenogears/xenosaga tracks.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Are they any relation to Xenoblade? My girlfriend is currently obsessed with that soundtrack and it does sound pretty ace :).

Currently listening to-
    Pokemon music over 2 minutes (to avoid any jingles), Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, Super Metroid, Mario World, Turrican(s), Lemmings (Amiga), Link's Awakening, Metal Slug and Street Fighter 2+4.

19. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

- I've written physics papers about the in-game physics of Super Smash Brothers Melee for my one college physics classes. Got a B+ on it. The professor challenged me to a SSBM battle and if I beat him whist playing as Kirby I'd get an A on the paper. I got the A.

- I listen to game soundtracks. I like to listen to Pokémon routes on my phone while walking around downtown.

- I can guess the year a computer was made just by looking at it from afar with 80% accuracy.

- I also keep a spreadsheet of exactly what happens to my Ranger. How much gas it uses, when the oil last got changed, when the tyres were last rotated, everything.

- Lastly, I can spout off a long list of things about the USS Enterprise 1701-D. Needed for challenging the GF when Trek Trivial.

I like Pokémon soundtracks as well. Although only RBY and GSC. Link's Awakening is another favorite of mine, as is Minish Cap.

21. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I'm a ham radio operator. Doesn't get much more nerdy than that :D

22. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Piffle.

I keep a spreadsheet for every ¢ I spend to own my cars.

Everything.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Loved the Minish Cap soundtrack for the playful chiptune emulation on the instruments.

Yeah. I keep expecting an iOS or Vita version. The last PSP version was okay but had an awful soundtrack (I thought. It was too experimental and didn't fit the flow of the game).

25. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Chiptune is the only way to play game soundtracks :)