What extensions does Mac OS X need to run?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Aug 15, 2013.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

What CPU extensions does Mac OS X 10.6 and OS X 10.8 need to run? How slow will mac OS X be on a windows Quad Core computer that benchmarks 1000 in geekbench when using all four cores, when using a single core? Will an IDE HDD work with OS X 10.6 or 10.8?

2. akshep macrumors member

This section is for PowerPC mac's, so I don't know how much help you'd get here. Also installing osx on a non apple computer is against apples TOS so I don't believe you will get help anyways. I'd suggest google.

3. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

What quad-core cpu have you got that only benches 1000 in geekbench?! That's pretty sluggish.
    Tonymac is a great resource for what you are trying to do, there is also insanelymac.com.
    I have converted quite a few myself, if you want any help or advise you can pm me if you like.

You can install both os's onto the one hdd, but you'd need to partition it first. You can do so from within the installer if you go to tools - disk utility

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

1. This is the PowerPC section, your questions belong in the hackintosh section (oh, yeah, there is no hackintosh section here. I suggest InsanelyMac.)

2. As for CPU extensions, with the proper third-party kernels (again, see other sites for more on that,) it will work with just about any reasonably modern x86 CPU. Although 10.7 and 10.8 do require 64-bit CPUs.

3. "How slow?" The same speed as a "true blue" Macintosh with the same speed processor. People have successfully run OS X on Atom-powered Netbooks, though, without too much complaint.

4. Yes, OS X will work with any hard drive that OS X has drivers for the controller - and as early Intel Macs had parallel ATA optical drives, OS X has parallel ATA drivers for Intel chipsets.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

As much as I hate to fuel this ridiculous thread... Where are you finding a quad core which benches as low as 1k? A 1.6GHz single core Atom N270 benches around that.

Why and how would you limit it to one core? This just sounds like another question which stems from a lack of understanding of how computers work.

6. Wildy macrumors 6502

This question is easily answered with a quick Google search. You need x86_64 and SSE3.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Absolutely! Modern multi-tasking operating systems use as many cores and threads as available in the processor. It has been quite a while since I worked that far down in the kernel, but using all possible cores was a big deal. Besides cores, you have threads as well.

I suppose one could find a way to limit the OS to one core, but what would be the point? You aren't going to spend lots of money on a quad-core i7 and then just use one core.

8. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Isn't installing Macintosh on a regular Intel computer a breach in the EULA?

1000 in geekbench? really? on a Quad Core?

9. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

10. tigerintank macrumors regular

thank you - you made me choke on my coffee :D