What external CD / DVD drives are you using?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bingefeller, Jan 10, 2017.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I'm considering getting an external CD/DVD drive for my MBA and was wondering what everyone else is using?

All I need mine for is ripping CDs to iTunes - I don't rip or watch DVDs.

I had a look on amazon.co.uk and lots of makes came up that I'd never heard of. Brands such as VicTsing, Version Tech, and Tabiger. They seem to get good reviews but I've never heard of these companies ever.

2. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

For that kind of use, I'd go AppleSuperdrive(I have no experience with one mind you). I've got a samsung SE-506CB that I use for my DVD and blu-ray needs. It's hooked up to a hell, I mean dell laptop. The drive has performed well, no complaints(Windows 10 is a different story).

If you don't go the Apple route, I Think Pioneer drives are getting good reviews as of late; albeit a little pricey.

Best

3. lostless macrumors 6502

Pretty much any external DVD drive will work. I use an lg blueray drive with my new MBP with no issues

4. Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

I have an external LaCie CD/DVD burner and a Pioneer Blu-ray reader (that also functions as a CD/DVD burner). I think each was about US$25 from Amazon.com when I purchased them years ago.

Not sure if the brand matters these days, these are commodity accessories.

Based on your proposed usage, it sounds like pretty much anything could work.

5. imanidiot Suspended

I use a cheap Samsung I got on Amazon and it's fine.

6. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Jyby macrumors 6502

I have a generic PC liton drive that I connect with a SATA to USB converter and a molex to SATA Power power supply.

DVD drive - $30
    SATA to USB 3.0 - $30
    Molex Power + adapter to SATA Power - $15

The plus side is I can plug an external hard drives into my Mac. For example, I recovered files from a G-Drive, who's fire-wire interface is no longer supported, by taking the internal drive out and plugging it in with the SATA to USB harness.

8. kohlson macrumors 65816

I have an older USB LG DVD burner. I'm sure it cost less than $40 when I bought it. I also have a newer LG Blu-ray burner. Both work well, though neither is used much.

9. peckerhead macrumors member

peckerhead

I pulled the drive out of the wife's old Acer laptop and bought a cheap SATA to USB enclosure for it. Works perfectly.

10. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Either LG bluray, or pretty much any old Samsung burner. Samsung is pretty good at burning.

11. pika2000 macrumors 68040

One thing I would check for is the power source. I would look for a drive that can be powered by a single USB port. Some external drives have to be powered by two ports, and it's difficult to do that on the Macbook Air due to the location of the USB ports.

12. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

I use an LG slim DVD/CD/R/RW. Only cost $26 and powers off of the USB port. Small and light and works nicely. Just plug and play.

13. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Some of the 2 port drives will work on the master plug, it is a matter of power usage.

14. yoimrae macrumors newbie

yoimrae

I use HP external USB Optical drive that came with my dad's HP Pavilion, and it works great.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Don't buy the Apple USB Superdrive. It's terrible, and breaks pretty soon after purchase. Lots of complaints on it in Apple forums, amazon reviews, and here.

I bought the Transcend 8x Portable CD/DVD Writer. It seems to be the least expensive and works perfectly. It's thin and light. Although it comes with the dual-USB plugs, it works fine with just one USB plugged in. No complaints so far.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076356-REG/transcend_ts8xdvds_k_8x_dvd_rw_drive.html

16. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

The cheapest one.

Apple's SuperDrive is horribly overpriced.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

18. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

Samsung good at burning, still cracking me up!