Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
I have a mini, and i need to get some more storage space, i have a few external hd's but they are full so i want to get a really big one, 750gb - 1tb
so my question is, will i be better off getting one with firewire 400? or should i just stick to usb2?

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
I have two external drives that I use a lot. A Seagate Freeagent, and a WD Mybook. Out of the two I'd reccomend the Mybook... They are very nice looking hard drives and give you the option of FW or USB (Depending on the model) and whatever you buy, get it off of newegg, its so much cheaper than at a store

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
If you're going to get a drive for FireWire, make sure that it does also have USB. If it only has FireWire 400, you won't be able to use it after this revision of Mac Mini.

Unfortunately that is probably true. Also the usb is great to have lets says your friend or wife wants to back up their data onto the drive and their machines doesn't have firewire, they can still do so.

Personally I like to buy the hard drive separately and then put them into an external enclosure, I have had the lowest failure rates doing that instead of buying pre-made external hard drives and I find its generally cheaper.

-iGrant

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Personally I like to buy the hard drive separately and then put them into an external enclosure, I have had the lowest failure rates doing that instead of buying pre-made external hard drives and I find its generally cheaper.

-iGrant

I did that once, and it did not work, not sure if it was the drive or the enclosure. windows would not even recognize there was a drive attached. OSx saw the drive, and it would spin up, but would not work. now i have a useless drive....
so i guess i'm leary of that happening again....

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
I did that once, and it did not work, not sure if it was the drive or the enclosure. windows would not even recognize there was a drive attached. OSx saw the drive, and it would spin up, but would not work.
so i guess i'm leary of that.

Who made the enclosure you tried to use?

-iGrant

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
it was a Vantec 2.5 enclosure, its very nice looking. and the drive was hitachi.
I took the drive out of the enclosure and put it back in a few times, checked the pins. nothing helped.

this is the enclosure
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392013

Yeah I had a Vantec once, and I returned it, mine was "iffy" at best. I really like the Macally drives. I am about to buy this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817347021

And do a raid on to drives so if one fails I won't lose anything.

When it comes to hard drives in general in personally preference, but regardless of what you buy, back up everything period. I don't care if the hard drive has wonderful review, etc. If its mechanical, then it can still fail.

-iGrant

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
i was just thinking, if the drive wasn't formatted, would OS X show it in finder?

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
i was just thinking, if the drive wasn't formatted, would OS X show it in finder?

What do you mean, like brand new hard drive? Most drives come formated with something, however it is possible that a hard drive has been formated in a format that Mac OS X can't recognize, I have had that happen to me before.

-iGrant

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
What do you mean, like brand new hard drive? Most drives come formated with something, however it is possible that a hard drive has been formated in a format that Mac OS X can't recognize, I have had that happen to me before.

-iGrant

well if it wasnt formated, or if it was in something osx did not recognise, would it show in finder?

if not how would you format it?

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
well if it wasnt formated, or if it was in something osx did not recognise, would it show in finder?

if not how would you format it?

If it wasn't formated, it would not show up in Finder, what you have to do is go to Applications -> Utilites -> Disk Utillies.

You should see it on the right hand side on the screen. Be careful with this program though, you can erase and format your Macs main hard drive with it.

Let me know if you need help.

-iGrant

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
If it wasn't formated, it would not show up in Finder, what you have to do is go to Applications -> Utilites -> Disk Utillies.

You should see it on the right hand side on the screen. Be careful with this program though, you can erase and format your Macs main hard drive with it.

Let me know if you need help.

-iGrant

ok i plugged it in and went to disk utility and i only see the system disk, not the external.
do i need to do something to get it to see the external ?

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
ok i feel pretty stupid now, i pulled out a different cable, and now the disk utility sees the disk, and it is now in the process of formating it.

thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.