What external DVD-ROM drives are compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by davidg4781, Aug 9, 2015.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I have an old PC with an ATAPI (IDE??) DVD-ROM drive in it. I recently got a 2011 mini and while I normally don't use discs I came across an older Lego game that requires a DVD. I also think I'm missing a few albums in iTunes that I'd have to import from the CD.

Is there a way to test if the DVD-ROM drive I have is compatible before buying an enclosure for it? The PC's power supply is dead so I can't turn that on, but I'm almost certain it's a Sony drive.

Or would I be better off just buying a new kit? For now, I'm alright without one and I can kind of do a work around using my G5 whenever I get a desk for it.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

For what a 5.25" case with an IDE connector will cost you, you can probably just buy a new generic USB-based external DVD/CD writer that will do what you need.

These typically sell in the $20-30 range...

My preference is for the "tray-loading" type (with a tray that physically opens) rather than the "slot-loading" design.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Buy a used external drive on eBay and be happy.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Are there specific ones I need to look for that are compatible with OS X/Mac mini or should they pretty much be universal?

5. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I use one of these with my 2009 Mac Mini, on which the optical drive can no longer be relied upon. Just plug it in to the USB socket and it's good to go, no worries about OS compatibility or anything….. Yes, universal.
    Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 8.32.00 AM.png