What external enclosure do I buy??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ricodafool, Sep 7, 2012.

1. ricodafool macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought my Macbook back in 2006. It's now dead! I managed to take out the hard drive as need iTunes and photos. I've been advised to buy an external enclosure hard drive and then I can access my stuff on my new MacBook Pro. Problem is I have no idea what external enclosure to buy!

I have a Toshiba Disk Drive, HDD2D32.

Any advice??

Cheers,

Richard

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Any enclosure that's compatible with a 2.5" drive should do. I've been using this one to house the HDD that came with my MBP (I swapped it with a SSD), and haven't had any troubles with it. If you want something a little faster than USB 2.0, you could get one that has a FireWire 800 port, but those are quite a bit more expensive.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I bought my Macbook back in 2006. It's now dead! I managed to take out the hard drive as need iTunes and photos. I've been advised to buy an external enclosure hard drive and then I can access my stuff on my new MacBook Pro. Problem is I have no idea what external enclosure to buy!"

Don't buy an "enclosure" at all.

Instead, consider one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap)

Some can be bought for as little as $15 on sale.

The advantage of having a dock around is that you can swap drives around as necessary. You will find it a VERY handy item to have around. Sometimes you can scrounge up "bare" drives for free...

You might consider a USB3 version (instead of USB2). It will cost slightly more, but will be compatible with current Macs and -faster- with future Macs.

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

The new Macs have USB 3.0? Damn, now I kind of wish I would have waited an extra two months before buying my MBP!