What external hard drive for macpro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oliver01, Mar 10, 2012.

1. oliver01 macrumors newbie

Ive been looking for a decent hard drive for ages..when I read the reviews for segate-wd .. it just puts me off cant make up my mind

Please someone shed some light
    +rep

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No platter based hard drive is better than any other. Buy the one that has the best warranty for your budget and size requirements. For external hard drives it's sometimes a good idea to buy a separate drive + enclosure so when the drive dies you can just pop in a new one.

3. oliver01 thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason am asking this cause I have read so many reviews and there are a lot of "Dont buy this product-awful" "Waste of money" along with "This was my best purchase" !!!!!!!:(
    Is this any gud ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004UA8COW/ref=s9_wish_gw_d39_g147_ir05?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3KJZYL90ZUEPM&colid=5CW5LWZRHOYG&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0235ZKEG7AP19S8528C6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128293&pf_rd_i=468294

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Do you mean MacBOOK Pro? Because your title only says "macpro" and I thought the whole point of a Mac Pro is that you can add hard drives internally and have no real need to use an external one. ??

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even with a Mac Pro, you can still use external drives.

7. oliver01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha sorry mac book pro I meant to say..

8. LorenK macrumors 6502

I buy Samsung hard drives. Until the floods in Thailand, the price was good and they have been eminently reliable. I put them in any external drive case that I can find, since most use the same bridge board.

9. oliver01 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OWC ships anywhere in the world.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

12. RedCroissant Suspended

a good external HD

I love Western Digital hard drives. I had 2 had the 250GB that still worked after being dropped a few times on a deployment and survived being reformatted every time I got a new computer with a larger hard drive. After thoroughly using those EHDD, I gave them to a friend who still uses them and these are now 7 years old. I also have three lager versions that are combination firewire 800/USB 2.0(1TB MyBook Studio, 1TB MyBook edition, 500GB MyBook). I have had each of these for longer than three years and I use the MyBook Studio to store my iTunes and iPhoto libraries. I've used Seagate, Maxtor, SimpleTech and others but have always been more than satisfied with the WD products. Good luck with your decision.

13. oliver01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never noticed you quoted me !! am sooo new to this forum
    Emm would it cost hell amount of money for shipment and also time-wise wouldn't be v long..

which model of WD particularly you think serves you well?