What External Hard Drive is the BEST for the 13" Aluminum Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macfreak12, May 30, 2009.

1. macfreak12 macrumors newbie

So, I've had my :apple:13" Aluminum Macbook since it was released...now I'm wanting to add an External Hard Drive so I can put all my files in there and use it as extra storage...I will be putting anything from music and video to PDF documents, Pages files, Excell, Powerpoint, etc...

I need some suggestions on which drives are the best....speed and durability are a MUST have. I'm looking to get a 1TB perhaps a 1.5TB or 2TB...IF its not too pricey...I'll be getting them from newegg.com so $$ shouldnt be that bad of an issue.... definitely 7200RPM...I unfortunately do not have firewire ports on my 13"MB :( so I'm stuck with USB 2.0 connections...

SO.....I NEED some advice and guidance as to what drives are worth the $$ and will last me a good long time. :D

2. iBadger macrumors member

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

+1 for WD. They've been solid performers for me while Seagates have, well, pooed the bed.

4. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I've been using the LaCie rugged and it's work great. Time Machine is great as well (I had never backed up before)

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

LaCie doesn't make hard drives. They make enclosures. You've probably got a Maxtor/Seagate or possibly a Hitachie drive.

There's no such thing as "reliability" with platter-based drives anyways. If you want something that's going to be reliable, get an SSD or a Drobo. Otherwise you're going to need to have backup drives. I've had almost every major brand of HD die at some point or another, none with any more or less frequency than the other.