What external hard drive should I get for my mac book?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lalbert4, Sep 2, 2009.

1. lalbert4 macrumors newbie

I bought my macbook last august and am just now getting around to backing up my files (why I waited this long is beyond me).

I'm not sure what kind of external hard drive to get. I simply want a copy of my files on something that's not my computer. Storage, in case something happens to my Mac and that I could transfer onto a new computer.

I don't need anything fancy, just something I can back stuff up on.

I'm not a techie and I am still learning the ways of being a mac.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Get something like this. By the sound of it you don't need anything fancy, just something reliable. By the sounds of it, a 3.5" USB drive will be just fine (they're normally the cheapest). Western Digital and Seagate are both good manufacturers.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Just an FYI...not sure if it was specific to my local store because online the prices aren't the same but I was in Target today and saw they had all WD externals with less than 1 TB on clearance---I believe the 500 GB My Book was selling for $49.

4. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

You can't go wrong. Get whatever is the most bang for your buck and is on sale.

5. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

6. lalbert4 thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I get Snow Leopard?

So, if I copy my files on to this thing and then install Snow Leopard, will I still be able to access them beyond just reading but could actually change them?!

Thanks for the advice!

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Once you start changing them they aren't backups any more !
    If you want to use it for backups and other files then partition it, use one partition for time machine (the easiest way of making backups) and the other for other files (which wont be backed up at all).
    Don't forget, should you have a theft or fire, your files may still be vunerable, so look at external back solutions such as mozy, amazon ....

8. chan2004 macrumors regular

Have three western digital HD with total memory of 2.5TB.

Works perfectly with mac and relatively cheap.
    Only trouble is its a little bit bulky