what external harddrive do you use with your MBP?

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
im looking for an external hard drive or solid state drive that i can use to store additional files and partition and use as a time machine.
the only thing that i really want is bus powered, i cant be bothered with carrying round another AC adapter.
any recommendations?

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
Using an Firewire 400 Smartdisk HDD with my MacBook Pro. Will be considering a larger drive with Firewire 800 to replace it soon.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
im looking for an external hard drive or solid state drive that i can use to store additional files and partition and use as a time machine.
the only thing that i really want is bus powered, i cant be bothered with carrying round another AC adapter.
any recommendations?
One of these sweet little rugged things from LaCie:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10036

Bus-powered, 5400 or 7200 RPM, small and light, supports USB 2.0 or FW400/FW800, easy to bring along just about anywhere without grief, and up to 500 GB which is good enough for my on-the-road needs. I think I've seen them cheaper if bought through Amazon but don't recall.

I've split the LaCie drive to two partitions: one data and one time machine. (That way, the TM backups won't eventually occupy all diskspace on the data volume.) Works great. They're roughly the size/thickness of an average American adult male hand.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007

Bus-powered, 5400 or 7200 RPM, small and light, supports USB 2.0 or FW400/FW800, easy to bring along just about anywhere without grief, and up to 500 GB which is good enough for my on-the-road needs. I think I've seen them cheaper if bought through Amazon but don't recall.

I've split the LaCie drive to two partitions: one data and one time machine. (That way, the TM backups won't eventually occupy all diskspace on the data volume.) Works great. They're roughly the size/thickness of an average American adult male hand.
I use one of these too, they're great. Some of my friends have them as well. They're small, light, rugged and bus powered.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

I wonder what kind of drives are in those. We have a LaCie drive that came with Segate HDs in it and one of them is kind of noisy.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
WD portable externals are great
I have a WD drive that "parks" or lifts the heads above the drive if a sensor feels it falling...I drop alot of stuff, so this feature sold me on other WD drives. I even put one in my sisters computer, a MacBook white 13.3in

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I just bought a Lacie Quadra 1TB drive that I use with FW 800. So far so good. It basically sleeps until time machine wakes it up to back up.

soo

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
I've got a 500gb Seagate FreeAgent Go. Slim and light, save some money by getting a Windows version, and reformat it as a Mac partition

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Depends on use. If you need a performance drive, get a FW800 drive with an Oxford chipset. I have Oyen Digital FW400 and a Rosewill FW800 cases (each with 2.5" Fujitsu 320gB 7,200rpm drives) I use for Pro Tools, Final Cup Express, and Photoshop CS4.

If you are just using it to back up, any "brand name" USB drive should do.

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
firewire would be best so you save usb ports (unless you actually DO use firewire)
however they will be more expensive (at least $10-$30) more.
I've got a Seagate Free agent (regular version, there is a mac version but its the same and it cost more.... don't throw away your money... UNLESS you actually want to go the FireWire path in which case you got no choice) its quite silent (in fact its like a million times quieter that the internal MBP HDD) its cheap (my 250GB one was like $80 but that was 6months ago, I reckon you could get the 500GB version for about the same or maybe $100) and the silver version goes rather nicely with the MBP aluminum finish (also the white light goes well along with the MBP's white light.)
Its a very nice HDD, you won't regret getting it.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
firewire would be best so you save usb ports (unless you actually DO use firewire)
however they will be more expensive (at least $10-$30) more.
I've got a Seagate Free agent (regular version, there is a mac version but its the same and it cost more.... don't throw away your money... UNLESS you actually want to go the FireWire path in which case you got no choice) its quite silent (in fact its like a million times quieter that the internal MBP HDD) its cheap (my 250GB one was like $80 but that was 6months ago, I reckon you could get the 500GB version for about the same or maybe $100) and the silver version goes rather nicely with the MBP aluminum finish (also the white light goes well along with the MBP's white light.)
Its a very nice HDD, you won't regret getting it.
is there a reason why firewire is more expensive? is there much advantage of using FW over USB?

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Yes, its wayyyyyyy faster. And fw 800 can power ax external drive.
Yes and no. Depends on how much wayyyyyyy faster for you is. USB will max at ~30MB/s while most 5400rpm HDD are in the 40MB/s mark. In fact theoretically speaking, 5400rpm hdds should not max USB which theoretical speed is 60MB/s, though I did a practical test and my internal 5400 Hitachi HDD does 44MB/s when internally (or in eSATA) and does about 33MB/s on USB.
FW is more expensive probably because of the same reason the "mac version" is more expensive (even if it does not differ from USB.)
If the OP does not mind 10MB/s (which in practical settings its not a lot) USB is a better commitment since is cheaper and you got more compatibility with PC (some still does not have FW ports) if money no issue then FW is better choice.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Yes and no. Depends on how much wayyyyyyy faster for you is. USB will max at ~30MB/s while most 5400rpm HDD are in the 40MB/s mark. In fact theoretically speaking, 5400rpm hdds should not max USB which theoretical speed is 60MB/s, though I did a practical test and my internal 5400 Hitachi HDD does 44MB/s when internally (or in eSATA) and does about 33MB/s on USB.
FW is more expensive probably because of the same reason the "mac version" is more expensive (even if it does not differ from USB.)
If the OP does not mind 10MB/s (which in practical settings its not a lot) USB is a better commitment since is cheaper and you got more compatibility with PC (some still does not have FW ports) if money no issue then FW is better choice.
Or you could get an external drive that has both USB 2.0 and FW400/FW800 ports like the LaCie drives...

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I've got a 320GB and 500GB OWC Mercury 2.5 FW800, both are fantastic. The 320GB is my TM drive, the 500GB has video and virtual machines. I've got a desktop WD FW800 at work as a split TM/Virtual machine drive. I've got 2 USB-only Mercury 2.5 drives at work, with old 80GB SATA drives scrounged out of dead laptops that I keep formatted FAT32 for use in Linux, OSX, and Win.

I've got two Drobos at work with 4 1TB drives a piece, both attached to a DroboShare. Not very fast (even direct connected) but the storage capacity and expandability is just plain awesome.

I've had 4 LaCie D2 drives (2 of them RAID) and they're crap. I'm done with them. I've lost one of them twice; they replaced the first, and then the replacement died in 3 weeks. Crappy luck perhaps, but enough for me not to want to deal with them again.

Joemero

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
How much free space do you typically leave on your MBP HD, i.e. photos and music, before storing on an external HDD? What percentage of your total photo/music collection do you all typically leave on your system HD compared to your external HD?

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
all i can say is, if you cant see the difference between usb and fire wire, there is something wrong with you.