What external HD are nMP owners using...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by violst, Feb 19, 2014.

1. violst, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

violst macrumors 6502

violst

Now that the nMP has been out for a few months, I was just wondering what external thunderbolt drive people are using for their main working storage.

My nMP should be arriving in a couple of days and I'm still on the fence about which external storage solution to get. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

2. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Promise Pegasus r6 12tb for main work storage in raid 5,

Drobo 5d 5TB as an archive.
    Some USB 3 drives for movies and time machine.

3. unfragile macrumors regular

I will use like this:

- Caldigit T3 (thunderbolt) - 2TB Raid0 + 512SSD for work (audio and video mainly)
    - IcyBox 4x HDD USB 3.0 JBOD
    - Audio Virtual Instruments Samples
    - Audio Lib
    - iTunes / Media
    - MISC

- Quad HDD dock USB 3.0 - daily back up of Caldigit T3

4. chrisn123 macrumors member

I ordered a new Areca 8-bay Tbolt2 box:

http://www.areca.us/products/thunderbolt2.htm

Supposed to arrive next week. nMP arrives today. I have 8xSeagate 4TB NAS drives to pop in there. Should be faster than the PCIe SSD for sequential stuff. Random small I/O, not so much.

5. Bones13 macrumors member

Bones13

Internal 256SSD for Mavericks.

I got the Rugged Lacie 256SSD for Bootcamp Win8.1.

I ordered the Raid box from Macsales.com with 2x2TB drives. I will run it as a 4tb raid drive when it gets here in a few weeks. This will be the main storage drive for photoshop and general stuff.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/External-Drive/OWC/Elite-Dual-RAID

I am using an older 1tb USB3 drive in that spot for now. I have a new (smaller) 1tb USB3 drive for TimeMachine.

I will be backing up the bigger drive to the home Synology NAS. (hmm, it probably needs another drive or 2) I am also considering Carbonite this go round too.

The Raid box will go next to the nMP (marble tile on top of the carpet)

The Bootcamp and TM external drives will go onto the cable shelf in my desk, with the USB3 hub.

6. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

7. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

The ARC-8050T2 looks very promising.
    I am very interested to learn how it performs.
    Please, let us know. TIA.

8. BlueWaterVA macrumors member

I am using CalDigit T3 3TB.

It is fast.

IT IS LOUD!

It uses Toshiba 1GB hard drives. I have considered changing the hard drives to Seagate SATA 3, 7200 rpm to see if it will not be as noisy. I think the all metal enclosure actually causes more noise. The drives have no isolation from the case slots.

I will continue to use, but I'm not sure I could recommend.

9. gauchopictures macrumors newbie

I'm also using the Promise Pegasus2 R4. I got the diskless version and filled it with 3 TB drives, so I'm getting 12TB of storage total.

10. Reno Richter macrumors member

My 8C 1TB D700 December 20 order when it arrives this is my plan...(all ready to go except the Dual enclosure)

OWC Qx2 via USB with 4 3TB 7200 Toshiba spinners at Raid 5 for time machine.

OWC Elite Pro Dual with a pair of 3TB 7200 Toshiba spinners at Raid 0 via TB.
    OWC is back-ordered on these till about April 1

2 portable LaCie Ruggeds that I changed out the drives to Samsung 840 EVO's 1 TB that I will use when in the USA connected to my nMP and when traveling connected to my Mid 2012 MBP thru a Caldigit Hub.

Storage is like sex or money....you can never seem to get or have enough!:D

11. cbm macrumors member

I had a few 1 TB disks I wanted to re-purpose, so I picked up this enclosure from DAT Optic when it was on sale a couple weeks ago. I'm only using it in JBOD mode, but it does have RAID support in hardware for a bunch of different RAID levels. It's not quite as quiet as the Mac Pro when the disks are being hit, but it's also not a bunch louder.

12. unfragile macrumors regular

I cannot say it's LOUD, it's like every box I had before. The big problem for me, is the HUM/Resonance that makes because in on the table, 1 meter from my ears.
    When my nMacPro arrive i will put below the table to see if diminish the fan.

If not I'll try to open and disable the Fan.

I've test it with only a SSD HD and the sound is the same.
    The sound we ear is from the FAN, not from the HDD's.

13. klukkluk macrumors newbie

I ordered a Caldigit T3.
    I was hoping it would be a silent solution... More silent than other enclosures?

14. unfragile, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

unfragile macrumors regular

klukkluk It's not a silent solution. The fan's in here are always on, but i think the manual says that they only be on when need it. weird...

Other thing This was from tech support about warranty:

There're couple issues:

Q: Can I use my own SSD inside Caldigit T3, will I lose warranty?

1. If you remove the drive from the drive tray, it will VOID the caldigit warranty on that drive module, not the entire enclosure
    - that drive will still have the manufacture warranty covered.

2. Your drive has not been test with our enclosure, so we cannot guarantee its compatibility or performance.

3. Your SSD may not fix inside the tray
    - our tray is for the 3.5" desktop drive, you may need a bracket for it.

15. violst thread starter macrumors 6502

violst

I was thinking about the LaCie 2big thunderbolt 6TB, but the Caldigit T3 thunderbolt 6TB is looking pretty good.

Any advice/experience between the two.

Thanks.

16. BlueWaterVA macrumors member

As if you're not smart enough to know you will need an adapter for the SSD, Duh! I am still in the 30 day warranty period and I would return mine if it were not for the restocking fee. As I said before it is fast!

Attached Files:

17. unfragile, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

unfragile macrumors regular

Hi BlueWaterVA,

If your smart enough you can see that I didn't question that, the support team thought that I would known.

"Can I use my own SSD inside Caldigit T3, will I lose warranty?"

;)

----------

I just open my Caldigit T3 and disable the fan.

The loud noise you are experience is from the FAN, maybe we can replace it for a better one.

None of screws were protect to void the warranty. I was very careful not to damage any screw.

The temperature seems normal, lets see in a couple of hours of work. And the noise is way lower than before (obvious).

18. danny_w macrumors 601

Not silent but much less irritating than the high-pitched fan on the OWC Thunderbolt Dual enclosure. To me it is not that bad.

19. danny_w macrumors 601

So you did change out one of the drives and it is working ok? I am considering it but wanted to know somebody else's experience first. Did you only install and sad or did you also install a different hdd? I noticed too that none of the screws seemed to have a "Warranty Void If Removed" sticker on them.

20. unfragile macrumors regular

I've change all the internal HDDs.

The Caldigit T3 come with 3x 1TB HDDs, I've changed to 2 x HDD 7200rpm 2TB each, and 1 x SSD 512GB (JBOD mode, no raid for now).

After a few hours with the Fan disable the Caldigit as a light warm touch, nothing to worry.

21. danny_w macrumors 601

Which HDDs did you use? The default Toshiba DT drives?

22. unfragile macrumors regular

I remove the default ones (Toshiba), I'm with 2x Seagate 2TB now.

The 3x Toshiba's I'm using in a four docking USB 3.0 in JBOD too. I remove the raid0 that comes by default.

23. danny_w macrumors 601

Thanks for the info!

24. unfragile macrumors regular

You're welcome.