What External Monitor are you using ? Rating ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dominicvivek06, May 26, 2012.

1. dominicvivek06 macrumors newbie

What External Monitor are you using ? Rating ?

2. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Apple Thunderbolt Display. Love it! No complaints - a little pricey, though.

3. Zzari macrumors member

Thunderbolt display is definitely awesome. That said, not everyone can afford it.

If you're thinking about getting an external display for your MBP, I highly recommend going with an IPS monitor. The jump in quality from a regular TN monitor to an IPS screen is amazing, and once you go IPS you'll never go back.

Some good starter IPS monitors include:

23" Dell U2311h 1920x1080
    24" Dell U2412m 1920x1200
    HP's "ZR" line of IPS monitors (21.5", 24", 27", 30")

I've used all of the above, and all are good. Just get whatever size works for you and is within your budget :D

4. Tritons macrumors 6502

But those Dells have only 1000:1 contrast, isn't it quite bad?

5. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Are the Thunderbolt display IPS? If not, what are they?

Thanks.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I use a Thunderbolt Display : 8/10

2 knocked off for pricing and limited port selection.

Comparably, the U2711 is becoming so cheap these days and has a great deal more in the way of connectivity that it's hard not to recommend that. Unless you have an aversion to antiglare coating, which I don't.

Not saying I don't recommend the TB display, but it's worth shopping around.

7. Tritons macrumors 6502

Yes, they are IPS.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's Cinema Display (not TB version, as its a couple of years old now)

9. Liquinn Suspended

Apple Thunderbolt Display, it's nice to have the real deal :p

10. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Still on the Alum ACD. 23"

Works fine. I do like the newer displays with the LED backlights, though. They're much brighter and have better viewing angles.

11. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

I had a 20" ACD, and while the later LED displays in the 27" iMac's and the 27" ACD I currently use were brighter and contrastier, I don't recall any substantial viewing angle difference. Both were IPS panels and the backlight tech shouldn't make any difference in viewing angle.

12. Zzari macrumors member

No. Dell just uses a different method of measuring contrast (there is no "uniform" industry method). Those monitors are great - they're very commonly used by photographers and other professionals.

13. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Dell U2412M.

Will get a Thunderbolt Display once it's updated with USB 3.0.

14. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I don't know specifically but there are different types of "contrast" measurements that companies market with and I think that's why it looks so low. SO one could be listed as one type of contrast at 1000:1 but be better than a 10,000:1 rated with some different system. I'd love if somebody could explain the details please.

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Also blacks aren't as black as on the newer monitors. And you get weird yellow tints on the older monitors. The 30" ACD (Alum) never had this issue, though. It's a beauty.

----------

The Dell's are quite ugly, though. But that's just me.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Stop paying attention to manufacturer marketing crap. At .2 cd/m2 or so, it looks pretty damn black. Beyond that, your blacks get crushed anyway. You might get it blacker, but the shadow detail range gets worse and worse. You can get a beautiful display without 1000:1 or even 500:1.

The 30" was nice for its time, but the yellow issues had nothing to do with older monitors. They had to do with crappy cheaply made monitors and poor panel calibration at the factories.

17. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

24" ACD I got refurbished a couple years ago. Love it.

18. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

NEC CCFL Backlit Displays

I don't care for LED displays. NEC has thirty CCFL displays starting at $300 MSRP.

I snagged an NEC 2490 WUXi2 for $550 (MSRP $899). Built like a tank, better panel than the Apple Thunderbolt, anti-glare and it has a four year warranty. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_2490wuxi.htm

The NEC displays have excellent ergonomic adjustments. The Apple option? it only has tilt like the iMacs. No Thanks!