What external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, Jan 14, 2010.

1. lapino macrumors regular

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

While LED backlights are great, I would look for something with a better panel such as a Dell Ultrasharp U2410, HP LP2475W, Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA, or NEC MultiSync EA231WMi or even the older Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP, Samsung SyncMaster 245T, HP LP2465, or Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP.

The first two use H-IPS displays but maybe out of your price range. They use the same display panel as the ACD 24" but use a CCFL backlight rather than LED. The next two use eIPS displays, but are a smaller 22" with a 16:10 aspect ratio or same sized 23" with a 16:9 aspect ratio. The eIPS displays will not have as high of contrast as the H-IPS or S-PVA displays, but still should be much better than the Samsung you linked. The last four use S-PVA displays and might be harder to find new still, but if you can, they maybe discounted enough to meet your price range.

The differences between the monitor you listed and the ones I listed are the color depth (6 bit color/ 262,000 colors) versus (8 bit color/16.7 million colors), the viewing angles should be much better on the monitors I listed, and the real life contrast ratio should be much better as well (do not buy into spec sheets, read professional reviews or go demo the monitors).

3. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I use an ACD at work. IMO it's unacceptable that a screen of this price range doesn't have a vesa mount on it and it sits too high for my desk. If I had to pay for it I would probably get 2 Dell 2007FPs with 1600x1200 resolution. They are ideal for a dual screen setup.