What famous person should have retired?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Feb 6, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Barry Bonds, Michael Jackson, Dan Rather, Brett Favre, Frank Sinatra, Cher, Peyton Manning, Rolling Stones, etc?

Who would you say had nothing more left to prove (as they made their mark) and should have left while they were on top and perhaps not have become a parody of themselves?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Peyton Manning??
    Really?

Willie Mays

Elvis

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Favre who just had the best season of his career? Manning who's in the prime of his career? Frank Sinatra?

How did you come up with this list?

5. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Your inane :mad:

Barack Obama ;)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Joan Rivers
    Larry King

Irony…I loves it. :rolleyes:

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Here's the perfect retirement scenario.

Peyton wins a 2nd Super Bowl ring tomorrow and Super Bowl MVP, ends up on top like Elway did when he rode into the sunset with his second ring, but without ever having suffered the loss in a Super Bowl like many others have, including Elway who lost it three times before he won.

What I would hate to see is Peyton losing in the Super Bowl, and then spend the next five years chasing that second ring, but only getting worse and worse as time went on.

When the great Bus had his last stop with a Super Bowl, at age 33, and a great career all remembered, and a SB win with the Steelers, it was one of those great moments in football history. There is no better time to retire while being in your mid to late 30s and holding up a Lombardi trophy. I don't recall any 40 year old superstars who left football on a good note, do you? And for the key target in this game who is a starting quarterback or star running back, one's mid-30s can be while one is still on top or not too far off of when they had their best numbers. Unless you are a QB or running back and made of steel, there is no way you are going to be your fittest in your late-30s. Something will fail you, and that's why the amazing Kurt Warner retired. He could have gone another five years as a mediocre QB, but why?

In baseball when Reggie had five rings, he should have hung it up. He shouldn't have gone on over to the Angels and faded away. Because of those embarrassing Angels years, people will never say Reggie was the best of all time. If he had retired at the time of his fifth ring, he could easily be considered the best and many could make an easy argument for that.

In sports, you are most remembered when you leave on top at the peak of your game. People will forever remember the great Elway for how beautifully he ended his career. I hated the Broncos and I had to admit I was crying when he got his second ring and made a speech. I knew it was the end of the road for him, and how beautiful to have your last football game (after Stanford and Denver) be a Super Bowl win.

Sure, Elway could have gone another three seasons, but then probably never reach the playoffs again, and then there would be the press urging him to quit already.

10. fotografica macrumors 68040

Well Jim Irsay disagrees with you
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/02/jim-irsay-plans-to-pay-peyton-manning-this-off-season/

Larry Holmes and Ali hung on way too long..

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Ali, hell don't even get me started. It was sad, and painful to watch. While truly the greatest, he could not beat father age in a sport that rarely sees their pros stay past their early 30s, same as an NFL QB. Ali fought with his old form, arguably, into age 30, but he was 36 at his last fight and 37 when he hung it up. By then, even the hardest core fans knew he was done. It was clear the only person who didn't know he was done was Ali himself.

So what about football and similarly old QBs in a physically brutal sport?

I was in the Bay Area when there was a huge freakout when SF replaced Joe Montana (at age 34) with Steve Young. Montana had seen his greatest years behind him, not in front of him when SF made the switch. Young brought SF to three NFC games and one Super Bowl and continued the 49ers dynasty started in 1981 into 1999. Only the Cowboys had a better long term run. Choosing the younger Steve Young was the right move.

Young would follow his '94 SB season with play after that into 1999 and retire the highest rated QB of all time, where his rating still stands, with only Tony Romo rising in quality as a player (these days) on track to catch Young's record. Former rising QBs in spitting distance of Young, who are Manning and Brady got close in earlier times, but have started their overall passing efficiency decline. Overall, Brady had his best season in 2007 and Manning, perhaps the best season of any NFL QB, in 2004.

Based on Montana's play starting into his early 30s, and his pretty decent work late career work with the Kansas City Chiefs, the man could have "technically" played until age 45 and still kept his numbers above the average starting NFL quarterback.

Personally, I would not have liked to have seen Montana play until 43 to 45, with perhaps the last five years with him as a third string "just in case" player and elder mentor. I didn't want Montana to become a man with that name, with the bench time of a 40-something Steve DeBerg, known by many as Steve "da backup".

I read on insane article who claimed that they thought Manning could play into his mid-40s, realizing that his amazing brain is also an asset that could orchestrate younger QBs and help lead the Colts to more postseasons.

OK, I get that logic in a world that is in a parallel universe where there is no such thing as money. ;) But it's assuming Manning's skill and health stays the same into age 35, 37, 40, 43?!? Yeah, right.

But let's look at this thing fiscally.
    Let's say Manning plays for ten years like the article I read in my local paper.

1) How long can he be a starter?
    2) Will he become more prone in injury from now until ten years from now?
    3) Why didn't Aikman (3 rings) or Young (highest rated QB) play to or past age 40?
    4) Could your budget afford Peyton Manning for 10 more years, with the second half of his ten years being essentially a uniformed QB coach?

12. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

AGREED. i want to watch Conan this summer not Jay. :mad:

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I was scrolling down fully expecting some Righty to mention the Prez, but in a serious way. I'm glad that you put a ;) next to it.

I don't agree with Dick Clark. It's nice to see him almost back to the way he was before his stroke.

The Rolling Stones can still put on a great show.....

Here's some that I could think of:

Larry King
    Ben Stiller
    I agree with Leno, Elvis, Ali, and Holmes
    Mike Tyson
    Britney Spears

14. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

My wife and I had made plans -a while ago - to go see Conan later this month for my birthday. :(
    I'll never watch Leno again. EVER.

From the government I'd also like to nominate:
    Senator John McCain
    Supreme Court Justices John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

15. racers macrumors regular

Metallica
    Green Day
    Bret Favre
    2 Pac :p
    Dane Cook (sucks a**)

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sen Kennedy
    Sen Thurman
    Sen Byrd
    Oh hell all of them that have been there longer then 20 years.

Mike Tyson
    Michael Jordan
    Babe Ruth
    Why not add Tom Brady if you have Manning in there? To say that Payton has noting left to prove is foolish. He has everything to prove if he wants to go down as the best QB ever.

17. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I agree. But also, I don't see why retirement has to happen when there's nothing left to prove. Manning may just enjoy playing football. Even if he's proven over and over again that he's the best quarterback that's ever played (not saying that's the case - just making a point), why would he retire if he's still having fun and contributing to the team?

18. Surely Guest

Surely

And still winning.

(and making big bank)

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Exactly. But everyone likes fairy tales and the idea of a sports great walking away after a huge victory plays to our need for emotional and often movie-like circumstances. It's like a hero riding off with his heroin into the sunset.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If everyone did that we would never have sports dynasties

21. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Brady could be there, too.

What does Manning have left to prove? Yes, it would be nice to get another ring, which is possible tomorrow. But then what? Look at the records Manning has, or is close to. What is he supposed to do from now on, just keep breaking his own records over and over? The guy is one of the greatest and what I think is foolish is if somebody thinks he "has" something left to prove and is not up to the status of a hall of fame career. I would like to see him leave on top, which means after this season, or at the least no more than three years from now. Like stated before, I don't want such a talent get old on TV and fade into being a running joke.

I hope Favre hangs is up or at the very latest, at the end of next year's season. Favre is great, I got it. He won't be able to sustain his greatness forever.

Who could match Peyton's 2004 season? Who could match an impressive ten of eleven year run with huge yardage, year after year (4000 yard plus in the 1999 to 2009 period)? And of course, many other great accomplishments.

This guy has a lot of stuff he has proven and I can safely put him in the same sentence, in terms of stats, with the big number guys like Elway and Marino.

On another topic, I think if Michael Jackson would have survived and had a great run at the O2, it would have truly been his final tour of a full run, pyrotechnic, high energy show. I saw "This is it" and he still had a lot of his fire left, and between the grueling practice sessions right before the tour, and his drug use, I think it was just too much of a strain on his heart. If he had started that tour, he could have conceivably died right in the middle of it had he continued his drug usage (which I am sure he still would have despite Janet Jackson's best efforts to get him clean and sober).

Though I am sad he died, I am amazed he lived as long as he did if the allegations of his drug use are true. If so, that man was really doped up, Elvis style.