What feature would you have added in iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Nikomanz, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

iOS 6 came out, some like it some dont. But if you could pick one feature to include in iOS 6 that didnt make the cut what feature would it be and why?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

An elegant way to take a file and pass it to other applications for further processing. This file would have revisions saved so that you'd have a consistent level of undo even if your not in the original application that created the file.

Each document would have the ability to "get info" and this panel would show what apps modified the documents and other useful bits of information. If you needed to share this file it would be flattened and exported as a file minus the metadata and revisions.

3. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

This, and with the inclusion of photos and other items. Would be nice to edit a photo and move it to other apps to edit some more.

4. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Widgets / toggle switches for bluetooth, wifi, etc.

That's seriously one of the only things I've been wanting for years. At least SBSettings has toggle switches.

5. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Moofing good idea. ;-)

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Somehow I think Siri is gonna allow that sooner rather than later.

7. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

• Allow 3rd party apps to add things to Notification Center
    • Add toggles to Notification Center for things like Wifi
    • Add Phone app to Notifications so that when you get a call, you get a pane with 2 buttons: answer and reject so you can continue what you are doing without interruption
    • Revamp Messages app with quick reply feature. Answer texts while you're in another app, if you want.
    • Revamp Messages app to be equal to the one on OSX by adding support for AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accounts.
    • Allow Email app to attach any file from any app.
    • Allow Safari to upload any file and download files to supported apps.
    • New feature: iCall. Call any iOS device via Wifi or 3G with all the features of carrier calls. Instead of voicemail, you can have a caller send the other iOS user an iMessage instead if the other party isn't available, and the iMessage will show up the next time they are connected to data or Wifi.

There, that would have been enough to satisfy nearly everybody this year but Apple decided to milk the public a little more and squeak out a lackluster iOS6.

8. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't get why Forstall/Tim Cook are so dam* resistant to having Bluetooth/Wifi toggles in a more easily accessible place. Notif bar would be ideal, but I also wouldn't mind it in the multitasking tray at the bottom (say two swipes to the left).

If anyone at AT&T is reading this: the reason I don't use wifi is because it takes too dam* long to turn wifi on/off. That's why I've been such a heavy "4G" user.

----------

Agree with everything in that list. You should work for Apple!

9. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

10. ah123 macrumors regular

Even if Siri does get this, I don't always want to use Siri to do it for me - what if I'm on the train in a tunnel and want to turn off data / cellular signal to save battery - I won't be able to do this because Siri requires data. So I'll be back to Settings -> General -> Network....

Also when I'm in an app, it's SO easy to invoke the notification centre and turn on/off WiFi or Data etc. etc. I just cannot see why they haven't included it.

11. newagemac macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure apple's position is that the user shouldn't have to turn on and off the radios so much that it requires more accessibility than being in the settings. I mean really, it's now at the top of settings in iOS6.

I literally never turn off my 3G or bluetooth as it is what makes the phone work like a *smart*phone. When I get in the car, the bluetooth automatically connects without me touching a thing, the wifi automatically disconnects, 3G takes over, and data continues to be processed without missing a beat.

When I get back home, the bluetooth automatically disconnects, the Wifi takes back over, and I save bandwidth on my 3G data cap.

The phone should be smart enough to lower the power of the radios when not in use and the battery should last long enough for it not to be an issue. I have noticed that people who come to the iPhone from Android are much more likely to turn their radios on and off constantly. One guy told me it was a necessity with his Android because of poor battery life and was just a habit when he switched.

12. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

English please?

13. ah123 macrumors regular

Google translate says the following:
    "Before he died Steve Jobs said the iPhone would come with a transparent screen and I could not believe it, and these days I saw a prototype of the iPhone with a transparent screen working.
    And once again before he died Steve Jobs said the next line would be developed in holograms, and now I ask you, do you believe?"

14. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I have been wanting this for years.

15. big samm macrumors 65816

I would like to have the phone notification on my iPad, and what I mean is when my iPhone rings and it's not in sight, to see the number that's calling me on my iPad, even answer the call via the iPad too, a la Palm style!

16. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I like that! Maybe even incorporate that into notifications on OSX would be fantastic as well. I would guess that everything would have to be on the same wi-fi network for that to work, but that would be nice.

17. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Best realistic list I've seen. Ever.

May I add a gesture for 'multitasking' or even have it located in the Notification Center.

18. big samm macrumors 65816

Or via Bluetooth 4.0

19. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I have no idea why people have such a freaking boner for wanting to have WiFi and BT toggles. I know Android phones typically suffer from battery life issues, so I can see the desire to turn off these services, but every iPhone I have ever owned has had stellar battery life... so much that I don't have to worry about conservation. I just use it and I make it through the day.

20. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

And here you are making the classic mistake of thinking you are everyone else. Newsflash, you aren't.

Not everybody lives in an excellent 3G area, and the 3G radio trying to hold onto a weak signal absolutely murders the battery life. As for bluetooth, you can have a similar issue if you are in an area where there are a lot of bluetooth devices. It also represents a bit of a security issue.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Fantastic list. I want all those things plus
    • Turn the search screen to the left of the home screen into a Dashboard for widgets
    • Add a Documents and Downloads folder (Most people will be happy with that simple file system)
    • NFC

22. wmitch macrumors regular

wmitch

Multiple user support.

I would love to have profiles so that I could have a profile set up for my kids that only gave them access to the apps I allowed. And separate profiles for my wife and I so we could both use the same app but as ourselves- Ie multiple game centers, mail synced with a different account based on who logged in, etc.

Edit: this would be mostly useful for iPad, not so much iPhone.

23. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Documents folder file system.
    Multiple user support.
    Upload non-photo files in Safari & mail.
    Change default applications.
    Wifi and bluetooth toggles.
    Gatekeeper to allow me to install non-censored apps.

24. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

Love the idea of iCall, but if they did that, people would just want iPods with 3G add on