What features are necessary before you buy the Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jent, Sep 13, 2014.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

Bashing and praising aside, is there anyone that likes the watch overall but won't buy it until a future version incorporates a certain feature or two?

I'm personally curious to see how often they update it. Will be it yearly like most of the mobile devices, will it vary, or will it be every two to three years?

I don't mind the thickness, I don't mind charging it nightly, I like the squarish layout, and I think it looks and functions rather nicely overall.

As much as I like the Apple Watch, I don't think I will buy it until it becomes fully waterproof. Not even to a great depth, but I want to be able to shower and swim in a swimming pool without worrying about taking it off. In a world where a cheap $15 digital watch is waterproof to 30 meters, I would be happy with it being waterproof to ten meters. I know this is like comparing apples to oranges, but that would be enough for me to consider buying it.

What about you?

2. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

Gps for running without carrying the iPhone. This should have been a must imho

3. fewlio macrumors member

for it to be a Garmin/polar equivalent plus more, must have GPS.

4. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

5. Matt Leaf macrumors regular

Waterproofing

Also, if they have three model, Watch, Sport, Edition, I think the cases for those model should reflect that.

For instance, something more robust, rather than shiny and delicate, in the sport model.

6. SHNXX macrumors 68000

not look like a watch.

i want to wear it with a watch.

7. ciberkarlos macrumors member

Absolutely. The :apple:Watch has a great UI and the biggest developer's community to make wonderful fitness apps, but without the GPS it's useless for running.

8. Tanax macrumors 6502a

GPS, waterproof, better than only 1 day battery (at least 3 day would be good) and Touch ID for authenticating the watch when putting it on instead of PIN.

9. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

If it's not waterproof, I won't buy it. Waterproof to at least allow surface swimming and showering. I have a Pebble, which is waterproof to 5ATM.

10. sracer, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Just a few basic things...

• at least 4-5 days of battery life when using it for nothing more than displaying the time
    • onboard/standalone functionality equivalent of an iPod Nano (local playback of audio, video, photo files)
    • ability to use personal photos in clock faces with the ability to automatically change the background based on time of day

11. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

A sleeping monitor ... But with that short batterylife the watch has more "important" tasks to do instead of taking care about me and my poor sleep.

And cut thickness by half. I know, half thickness and 10times battery life: that's a challenge ..

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

All of these - but longer battery life is most important

13. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Waterproof

At least 2-4 days of battery life.

Design that actually looks like a premium wrist watch. At the moment :apple:WATCH doesn't fill this requirement. I don't say it's bad looking, it's very decent but looks a bit too geeky for me.

14. SHNXX macrumors 68000

There's no premium watch that sells for $350; only $350 watches sell for $350.

15. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but :apple:WATCH doesn't look even as good as 350€ watches. Therefore it doesn't fill the requirements. If it costs 350€, it's better look as good as 350€ wrist watches do.

16. SHNXX macrumors 68000

That's just what you think.
    Looks are subjective.
    I don't like any watches that cost $350, except G-Shocks.
    $350 is in the territory of cheap watches. I don't expect much more than what apple offered.

17. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well... seems like looks are extremely subjective. IMO G-Shocks are the most horrendously ugly watches ever produced. My eyes explode every time I see one. :D Even :apple:WATCH is extremely sleek and classy compared to that.

18. SHNXX macrumors 68000

They're just gym beaters for me, like the apple watch will be.

19. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

It has to have feature parity with my Garmin fenix 2. So waterproof, GPS, equivalent battery life (13ish hours with GPS running to weeks displaying only time), and stand alone operation. Then it has to be in the same zip code for pricing. The fenix 2 retails for $350-$450, and I am not sure the :apple:Watch will hit that pricepoint, especially if it got the features I listed above.

As it stands, the watch looks like an ok start, but I am just not seeing the benefit over just using my phone and having the Garmin for when I need/want it. I don't find notifications on my wrist to be worth $350 (the Garmin does that too.)

20. cbongiova macrumors newbie

Gps
    Wifi
    Phone free mode
    Round design
    2 day battery life
    More fitness and sleep tracking sensors and apps
    Waterproof - 10 meters minimum
    $249 or cheaper for base model

If the apple watch had all of those I'd get one.

21. WebHead macrumors member

Even though I jog the same route every day, I'm holding out for GPS. It just seems crippled without it.

22. laudern macrumors 6502a

Glucose level measuring. An extremely long shot but that's what I would LOVE to have and change my life.

23. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i honestly want a week of battery. but id get it if they got it up to 3-4. Some type of water resistance is necessary and definitely the ability to run without the iPhone.

24. sebastian... macrumors regular

How about these ones ? They cost about $450 and they were released a few years ago. Do they look better than G-Shocks ? They also have 5 motors so the hands could run independent very fast forward and backwards for quick access of different functions. Also it has a smart digital crown - just like the Apple watch.
    They are also radio synchronized with an atomic clock and run forever with the power of light only.

Attached Files:

25. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Better battery life. I'll have to see one in person, but I may want it to be thinner too.