What features do you think 2.0 will bring (besides SDK)?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dfoster1992, Mar 8, 2008.

1. dfoster1992 macrumors newbie

Do you think iPod Touch owners will get exchange support, too? How many of the new apps will work with iPod Touch (VoIP, phone-related)?

I will gladly pay +20 to be able to download 3rd Party apps and still be in warranty. It's an official Installer.app!

Please, NO cry-babies.

2. McGiord, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

I think that we will see some new apps from Apple included in the update. iChat, maybe. But as for VoIP, that's for sure a no no because external accessories can't be used, making a microphone impossible. I could also see them adding some more customization options for the interface.

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think it will bring nothing without flashing the ca$h.

5. erl macrumors newbie

What do you mean microphones are impossible? There are microphones out that connect to the dock plug.

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I know external accessory use was rumored to not be allowed but has there been official confirmation of this from someone who has the SDK?

7. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

VOIP is possible now with a plug-in microphone. But it's a hack deal. Don't expect Apple to support a phone application for the touch. Why should they when they offer a perfectly good iPhone now. Do you expect that they'd want to compete with themselves?

8. McGiord, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The iPhone has a mic, they can use it for a VOIP app, the only reason I see for :apple: to block it's usage is to protect the phone carriers. But technically it could be used for VOIP, right?

Also a Bluetooth earphone can be used.
    ________
    hash

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, there are. But Apple won't allow a program to come out in their store that requires this accessory.

10. CEJ macrumors newbie

Is WPA/WPA2 enterprise authentication going to be supported in the 2.0 release?

-CEJ

11. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Yes! As well as a lot of other enterprise features! Though this may be part of the things we have to pay for.

Apple has kept really quiet about copy/paste...I think by WWDC we'll see that too.

12. aduteau macrumors 6502a

Do you guys see any GPS software with a GPS receiver for the ITouch coming into the future??? That would sell big time, Or does Apple limit selling this idea because the App Store wont sell hardware required for the software ????

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's doubtful. Not only would the reciever be huge and draw a lot of power, they've also stated that they won't allow external accessories to be used with apps on the AppStore.

14. mbrellisford macrumors member

I remember reading (just after the SDK was released) that apple had mentioned they would allow VoIP as long as it uses strictly wifi (iPhone users could only use it on Wifi and NOT EDGE) and then obviously an external mic must be purchased.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, But they also said that external accessories wouldn't be supported, which locks VoIP to the iPhone for now.

16. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Not true. A mic for the touch was developed and is being sold (but not totally legitimately haha). The app would just have to work with that, but it does not have to be an "official" add-on that Apple would approve.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, they're not gonna approve an app that needs that to work, will they?

18. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Well, I guess you're right about that. But, the app could be just for the iPhone but lets face it, if you plug a mic into the touch while using a VoIP app, it SHOULD work. Not sure though, but you know someone will make it work.

19. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Here's one microphone...
    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/12/touch-4-voip-mi.html

Here's another...
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/02/ipod-touch-gets-microphone-for-voip-via-modded-dongle/

Here's one in use:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HTVw2o_9WM

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

Someone will make it work, yes. They already have. But it won't take much effort from Apple to drop the drivers for it in a future upgrade.