What features (if any) does the iPod Touch 3rd gen have that iPhone 3GS doesn't

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Learning to Mac, May 9, 2010.

1. Learning to Mac macrumors newbie

Learning to Mac

I have a iPhone 3GS. I am contemplating to buy a iPod Touch 32 Gigs. But i want to know before i buy it whether there is any feature or capability that the iPod touch has that iPhone 3GS doesn't. Please guide.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well, 3G capability and a camera for starters...

edit: Whoops, I'm reading things totally backwards tonight :( Never mind.

3. Learning to Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Learning to Mac

I believe you misunderstood me, I am not asking what features the iPhone 3GS have that the iPod touch doesn't.
    I am asking whether the iPod touch has some features that the iPhone 3GS doesn't :D

4. dom91932 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The iPod touch is thinner. The headphone port is on the bottom. Anything else u want to know.

5. Learning to Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Learning to Mac

Thanks for the response. Is there anything else more substantial than the size and the location of the port. The reason I am posting this query is because I want to buy an iPod Touch as i keep running out of my iPhone battery but i dont want to invest close to $300 just for that reason.

6. dom91932 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Do u mean ur battery keeps on running out or you have to replace it alot.

7. Learning to Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Learning to Mac

My iPhone 3GS battery keeps running out as it is synced to quite a few mails and i do use it for listening to music for a few hours a day. So i thought i will buy an iPod Touch to replace my 3GS as my primary music player while i am at work. But as i mentioned in my previous post it would really help if i new that when i buy an iPod Touch i will get some extra feature that the iPhone 3GS doesn't have..

8. dom91932 macrumors member

If u r just mostly going to use is for a music player. The battery will be fine and very long.

9. EllieV macrumors 6502

I would say, if you are having battery issues, just buy the next iPhone, coming out in June. The batter is 19% larger. Also get the Battery Doctor Pro app, I have seen VERY good reviews for it, and it seems like it actually does work

10. McBeats macrumors 6502a

camera, 3g, built-in mic (although mic comes with new headphones for ipod touch 3rd gen)...

as for other hardware specs, they should be same...

the OS is close to identical, the "ipod" feature/app is called "music" on the ipod touch.

and if u look into the options, theres quite a bit more options in the iphone than the ipod touch (i dont have iphone in front of me so im guessing its more 3g/phone options)

as for speed tests/benchmarks... they both should come neck-n-neck. The ipod touch might be a teeny tiny bit faster, because of some reasons (prolly the phone feature, other things slowing it down). I'm only saying this because the 2nd gen ipod touch was significantly faster than the 2nd gen iphone (3g) and they were both clocked at the same cpu speed (same cpu and ram)

11. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Are you in one location at work near a power outlet? If so, a spare power cord would be much cheaper than an iPod touch. If not, even an external battery that you plug the iPhone onto would be much cheaper than a touch. Other than being slimmer and coming in versions with twice the storage due to a second flash memory slot, the features of the touch are a subset of the features of the iPhone.

12. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I have an iPod Touch and an iPhone 3GS. I use my 5th gen iPod Nano as my primary music player. It works a little better for this, as it's really small, easy to navigate, etc. I actually think it's the best music player I've ever had. The touch is a bit large when I'm working in my lab and I need it in my pocket. The nano is perfect for this.

IMO, get a standalone music player for music at work and use the iPhone 3GS for all the smartphone stuff.

13. yahya4k macrumors member

I hav never quite understood the purpose behind the Touch, when both the Nano and iPhone could do their respective jobs better.

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Can you browse web pages and send email at free wi-fi hotspots on the Ipod Nano?

Can you access the internet without an additional $60.00/month data fee on your iPhone?

Can you avoid AT&T's abysmally poor service in some areas with an iPhone?

These are some of the reasons there's an iPod Touch. :D

15. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Don't invest $300.00 in a second device because your battery is running out! Get one of the cases with an integrated second battery. There are a lot of different types made, and the Apple store would be a good place to start looking at options.

Then find it cheaper online.

16. yahya4k macrumors member

Consider me schooled. Seriously I didnt know, coz as of this past month I have been learning (crash course style) about everything iNeed to know abut Apple and Mac related.

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

You don't have a Mac?

18. yahya4k macrumors member

Not yet...i am converting over to everything Apple starting from this month. Microsoft is killing me...and iv become obsessed with everything Apple in the past few weeks.

19. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Haha. Well I've converted the whole family to Mac (starting with my wife's iPod Touch, then daughter, then my MB, then the MM, soon the upgraded Mac Mini & 13" MBP). But I cannot rid myself of Microsoft ... I work in that environment and I enjoy my personal purchases through that work & support. But at home I'm Mac OS X.

Its a serious learning curve; especially if you know windows very well its hard to unlearn complex tasks to go back to simplicity and efficiency.

20. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

if u just want a music player whats wrong with an ipod nano?

21. cheeseblock macrumors member

BATTERY LIFE.

I have a 3rd gen 32gb touch and the battery last FOREVER. like 3 days of listening to music all the time and surfing internet and always having wifi on and everything.

It's half the thickness

I prefer the feel of the sleep button over the iphone's for some reason, and like how the headphone jack is on bottom.

and you can experiment with jailbreaking and custom stuff without worrying about your expensive iphone

hope this helps

22. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

If you just want a music player and are struggling to justify the cost get the nano or a classic.

For all the people saying you can do x,y and z on a touch but not a nano, that doesn't matter - he has an iPhone to do all that stuff on.