What features would Apple have to add to v2 for you to get another one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Sep 17, 2007.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

For me... G3, 16GB HD, GPS...

This phone is simply the best gadget I have, and its Apples first attempt at a phone!!!

2. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

For me, 3G, preferably 32GB storage space. More phone apps downloadable through Apple's website. The same way the offer widgets.

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i dunno what they'll do that will make it worth upgrading. maybe making it smaller, adding 3G, etc... but i wish they'd add as much as they can via software .. but i know they wont.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

GPS is the only hardware feature important to me.

3G is not important to me. EDGE is working fine in my area.

5. dagomike macrumors 65816

If 3G was available in my area, that would probably make me want to upgrade, but not pay $400. More durable would help, because no way I'm spending $400 again on a phone that cracks when dropped. Better camera w/ flash, so I can actually replace my digital. 2MP is actually fine for 90% of my digital photos, but unless you're outside or in really good lighting, the iPhone sucks. The rest is probably software, so no need to buy a new unit for that unless Apple cripples it, in which case I won't buy another knowing it will be intentionally obsoleted just to rape me.

6. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Interesting. Not a single one, nor all 3, of those features would make me get a new iPhone.

None are worth upgrading for. EDGE is more than sufficient. 16 gb vs.4 gb is nothing ( talk to me when they are 80 gig).

GPS? Do you not know where you are right now? Start paying more attention.

7. GTiPhone macrumors regular

I have a 4 gig iPhone, for me to upgrade it would have to be:

1) Smaller.

2) Have a real Finder with normal OSX navigation, file storing, Spotlight, etc...

3) Be able handle AND download all types of files that OSX can.

4) Have at least a 40 gig harddrive, preferably 80 gig.

---

As well as 3 G

8. earthsick macrumors regular

9. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

10. agirton macrumors regular

16gb or bigger

More space and more built in apps and I would upgrade now.

11. mets1125 macrumors regular

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Haven't used GPS much have you? While I could care less about having it in my iPhone it is a very useful thing for those who travel.

13. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone overall...

It would have to be one hell of an upgrade...

• 3G (with same or comparable battery life)
    • iChat (that doesn't keep me from having calls and keeps me logged in)
    • SDK so that we can get some cool apps without having to hack our phones
    and futz around with all these workarounds...
    • at least 30 gigs
    • disk mode and a file utility (simplified finder i guess)
    • flash
    • GPS would be nice, but I really have no issue just using google maps.. I would actually be fine if they just made it where google maps could work with my current bluetooth GPS module.

"cleaner, less childish GUI"

Not sure how a GUI could get that much cleaner than it already is. Pretty damn simplistic phone. maybe you need a fisher-price model?

And what exactly is childish about it? not sure I follow this post.

14. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Whatever Apple chooses to add to a proposed V2 it should include:
    COMPLETE Email capabality to include attachments etc.
    GPS
    whatever the fastest, most reliable wireless network is, it should have that and wifi
    32gb storage
    A2DP bluetooth stereo
    Bluetooth sync
    complete list of proposed upgrades to that model which werent shipped but are in the pipe to avoid all of this speculation.

15. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I can't think of anything that would make me want to upgrade to a new version. GPS would be nice, but certainly not a necessity - and 8GB is enough for me.

I probably won't be getting a new one until mine dies or it gets lost/stolen.

16. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

17. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I would like a better camera I mean 2 mega pixels come on. Also I would like video camera so you could use it as a video phone.:D

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

It needs a much bigger screen, like a 42" plasma.

A data connection that is at least 90mbps with coverage all over the world and no roaming charges.

A subwoofer and surround sound.

12TB of storage for my music library. I don't ever want to hear the same song again.

A battery that lasts a month and a half without recharging.

A video camera on PAR with the Red, 4520x2540 pixels..and a raid drive for storage. Oh, and full Final Cut Pro HD for editing on the fly.

It should be able to be thrown against a brick wall and be unscathed.

Oh, and it needs to be about half the size it is now.

We're talking about a phone, right?

19. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

a lot depends on the price.

If they gave some kind of an existing owner discount and the price was $399 or lower and offered a large memory upgrade, improved functionality in terms of things like iChat, MMS, faster EDGE then I would be very tempted.

20. The General macrumors 601

More storage and a real widescreen. :rolleyes:

480x320 ≠ 16:9

Give me 568 x 320 with the same PPI and I'd be okay with it.

21. avflyer macrumors newbie

I want my next iPhone to unfold into a 42 inch plasma.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Agreed. Dunno about the camera having to up the MP so much as being better in slightly lower light situations-- it's pretty awful as it is. And prior to having the iPhone, I saw no value in video recording capability, but I must admit, it'd be pretty nice to have.

Count me in as another who'd upgrade for GPS alone. It's incredibly useful say if, a typical route has a detour and you need to figure out a different way to get to your destination. Or if, you happen to ever travel outside of your usual "spots."

Certain other gripes that might not necessarily be related to the v2 iPhone but I feel should be addressed: ability to delete single recent call entries, ability to delete single text messages (rather than clearing the whole conversation).

23. earthsick macrumors regular

I also am very happy with the phone. With that said, the GUI ALREADY looks like something from a fisher price toy, that is why i said LESS childish. The fact you misunderstood a 4 word post is confusing to me. And by not clean I mean it strikes me as silly that the main menu is a collection of squares. The dock is some what pointless unless you are using summerboard with alot of third party apps. And look at the addition of the iTunes music store icon on the springboard...it looks terribly out of place. Is it a big deal? Not really...but as other people have said on this board, a "front row style" implementation would be pretty cool. Or why cant the option exist to organize it how I wish? I guess what I am looking for is a real true Mobile Finder...that way I can have a mix of widgets and folders on my springboard...so for example I could have the important widgets such as google maps and SMS and then a folder labeled "Misc apps" with all the stuff I barely use.

24. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

3G will be nice.
    16 GB to replace the current model and 32 for a higher price point.

Inbuilt GPS will be nice - but for the sake of battery life, I would sacrifice it. But it would be great if it can work with bluetooth GPS receivers [URL="http://www.semsons.com/glbtgpsrebts.html"like this[/URL]and to really be of use, it need to cache google maps for use when traveling out of EDGE coverage areas (which happens quite often!)

25. boredoftheworld macrumors 6502

boredoftheworld

My dream iphone has stereo speakers like my old rokr. On the sides ffs, the mono speaker on the bottom is just crap. Even if the phone had to be thicker to accommodate decent speakers I'd be happy. I can use my rokr on speakerphone from all over a room and it sounds great.

Flash. Not because it's cool, but because I keep running into pages that just don't work without it.

GPS. I drove my family halfway across the country recently and it would have been very helpful to click on the map app and search "nearest X hotel from where we are now", or restaurant or gas station. We managed to do something like that by finding out where we were, but at 3am in the middle of Tennessee it's a little difficult to figure out.

Downloads. Just give me a data folder that I can sync from iphone to computer. Sometimes when I'm surfing there's a picture I want to save (ok, I like lolcats, sue me) or a document... or a text clipping! which brings me to:

CUT AND PASTE. I don't care what they have to do to make it happen, just get it done.

Filemaker would rock my world. If I could check my home library when I'm in some hole in the wall used book store to see if I already have something it would change my life.

If any or all of those things requires a completely new device then I'll buy one (and give my current iphone to my wife) as soon as it becomes available.

That being said the iPhone already has changed my life. It paid for itself on the trip we took in August by the amount of money we were able to save on hotels and restaurants (and zoo admission believe it or not). Even with the price drop it's the only thing (including houses, cars and computers) that I've ever bought that I didn't have buyers remorse about.