what file do email addresses auto populate from?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Memorial1, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Memorial1 macrumors newbie

I used Apple Mail 4.6. like many email applications, when you start typing in the intended recipient's email address, it usually auto populates the field and I assume it does that from some unknown file. so which file?(if it is a file). if its not a file, where is the info stored?

2. page404 macrumors regular

page404

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It comes from two places. Either the OS X Address Book application or the Mail app stores a list of previous recipients, so if you manually type in an email address it will be remembered in the previous recipients list.

You can see and clear the previous recipient list by opening Mail app then clicking on the Window menu and selecting previous recipients.

4. Memorial1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I considered that it might be the Address Book but the number of entries in my address book doesn't even come close to what autopopulates in the email address field. what I really want to do is find the file(if there is a file)copy and save it because I'm taking my iMAC into the shop and I want have access to all those addresses while it in for repair.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If they are not in your address book, they must be in previous recipients. You can look in the window like I described to see if they are there.

If you want to save those entries, go to the folder below and copy the file com.apple.mail-com.apple.mail.recents. This will save the entries so they don't get lost, but that file is not in a format you will be able to use.

To get to this folder click the desktop then hit shift-command-g and paste the text below into the popup and hit enter.

Code:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/SyncedPreferences/
    A better option might be to go to that same window and at the lower right your will see an option to add the previous recipients to your Address Book. You could then export the address book in a universal VCARD format that could be imported to many other programs or even GMail.

6. Memorial1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Weaselboy

you are correct. they were in previous recipients. following your advice I copied/pasted "/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/SyncedPreferences/" after doing shift-command- G, but got "no such folder? found.

either I'm making a syntax error or something else?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you paste the ~ at the beginning? That needs to be there also. I assume you are on Mountain Lion.

8. karl878 macrumors member

Mail.app’s autocomplete address database file location:
    Library/Application Support/AddressBook/MailRecents-v4.abcdmr

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The location depends on which version of OS X you're running. I'm guessing you're on Snow Leopard or Leopard.

10. Fishrrman, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

Fishrrman macrumors G3

"You can see and clear the previous recipient list by opening Mail app then clicking on the Window menu and selecting previous recipients."

Are the "previous recipient" addresses stored within a particular file?

EDIT: DISREGARD, karl878 answered my question in post 9 above.
    Thanks for some very useful information...