What file kinds should go in Finder>Applications?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chewie100, Jun 12, 2008.

1. chewie100 macrumors newbie

I know this might sound like a daft question, but i've never really thought about it until I downloaded an FLAC to mp3 converter called Max, after unzipping it, I am left with a folder that contains other apps that are related to the main Program, and are needed for upgrading to newer versions etc.. So my question is, is it ok to put the whole folder in 'Applications', or should there only be individual Progs in there?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Either one is OK, actually - for this situation at least. I recommend keeping everything grouped in a folder though - it'll make the programs easier to find.

3. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Agreed that either one is okay, but I recommend getting a different app if you can or just dragging out the main executable and deleting the rest.

This way of doing things (giving you a folder with a bunch of stuff in it that may or may not be necessary), is not recommended and indicates a sort of "windows oriented" thinking on the part of the developer.

There is no reason to do it, so when you find a developer that has done things that way (huge software suites excluded), you can be sure that the company in question is either brand new to the Mac platform, or just plain clued out. Not a good sign. If there is another app in the same category that does similar things, I would seriously consider checking that one out instead.