What Files Do I Need In My Macintosh HD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MTMiPower, Feb 1, 2011.

1. MTMiPower macrumors newbie

hi, i'm was cleaning my mac and find that i have some files in my Macintosh HD. i notice from the beginning that there was less but i have allot, i was just wondering, is there any file i need and don't need for?

heres a pic of my "Mac HD": [​IMG]

note: if its possible please upload your clean Macintosh HD so i can see what i need to have and not that might be easier.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. MTMiPower thread starter macrumors newbie

thx :D

4. old-wiz, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

old-wiz macrumors G3

If you go off and start deleting files and you don't know what they are there for in the first place, you're likely to wind up with an unbootable system.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1089587

just shows what happens if you go off deleting stuff without knowing what you are doing.

5. Drewbie macrumors member

apps,library, system, users, developer should be the only 5 folders at the root level

6. simsaladimbamba

Visible ones.

Anyway, one should not really delete files and folders outside one's Home Folder, unless one knows what the files and folders are there for.

Mac OS X Directory Structure explained

7. Drewbie macrumors member

true, those are the only visible ones.

as much as i know about osx i dont think i would ever go into hidden files/folders and delete those unless i knew the exact file i was looking for.

and your correct, unless you know specifically what the file is for or if its unusually large then i would only delete things from my home folder

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Not only should you not be deleting folders off of the root, chances are these aren't using enough disk space to be concerned about anyway. Get a program like Disk Inventory X (free) which will visually show you want is taking up space.