What files do I need to backup from HDD cam?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rotlex, Aug 10, 2007.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Might be a silly question, but......I just bought, due to iLife 08', a new hard drive based cam to play around with. Working great, love it etc.

Question though for those that own one of these things. If I want to backup my "RAW" footage from the camcorder, before importing to iMovie, what files do I actually need to copy from the camera? I know I can import to iMovie etc., but I want to simply copy and paste the necessary files from the camera drive itself, to an archive folder on my machine. (Then burn to DVD).

The cam is a Sony that produces .mts video files. Are these the ONLY files that need to be back up? In other words, do they contain both the video and audio, or is there something else in the file\directory structure I should take with it?

Thanks!

2. lom8104 macrumors regular

That should be all you need. The problem is trying to import these files into imove afterwards.

3. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping\assuming that just dragging the files or importing from a local drive into iMovie will work as well. I'll have to give it a try tonight and see what happens.

Thanks again.

4. lom8104 macrumors regular

At the very least you should be able to move the files back onto the camera with the included Sony software and then import into imovie---I am going to try that tonight after I setup bootcamp on my new iMac.

5. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would be great indeed, but I'm still running on a G5, so no software support from Sony. :(