What files to view from a DVD on to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Can anyone help me here, I have some programmes on DVDs that I've recorded from television onto a recordable DVD player. I want to be able to copy those files on to the MBP and view without having to use the DVDs.

When I put the DVD in the MBP, copy the files on to the Mac, there are loads of TS folders, audio etc., but other movie files I have on my MBP are just ONE single 'avi 'mkv or 'wmv files, and I can't seem to be able to get the ones from the DVD in the same one file format.

They're not pre recorded DVDs, they're just stuff I've recorded from the telly. Anyone have any idea please?

2. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Did you try RipIt?

RipIt produces .dvdmedia files, which are playable by the DVD player software on any modern Mac computer. Since RipIt has a trial cycle which allows you to rip and convert several DVDs, why don't you download and try it on your recorded DVDs?

http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, I can play them on the MBP with the DVD in machine, all be it a pain, but this will convert to AVI or MKV etc? There is nothing I can drag and drop from the files that are already on the DVD presumably without having to convert?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

5. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

No. You're asking what the difference is between ripping and copying. This article covers that very topic.

Same thing. Handbrake is also ripping the media. Some prefer the individual files. I prefer when they are packaged up in a .dvdmedia grouping and are playable with the DVD player app.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, so does that mean I can get an MP4 solo file from Handbrake but not from RipIt? Didn't they pull Handbrake, or is it still useable for this?

7. sbuntin macrumors member

sbuntin

Put the contents of the dvd in a folder - perhaps named after the show.
    Drag the folder onto DVD Player. It'll play.

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

So it has to be a folder, I can't then put on a USB and plug into a telly like you can with the single files?

9. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Whoa. If a DVD's videos could be played simply by moving them into a folder, then why does every single DVD conversion utility rip the DVD before moving the files? Why go through the massive computation and programming expense if it's unnecessary? Why would any conversion programs even exist at all?

This answer doesn't pass the smell test.

10. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

What files to view from a DVD on to Mac?

You have a point. Although I'm talking DVDs that I made, and I think that's what he's referring to, not shop bought which are probably not so easily done.

11. dyt1983, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

12. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes that's exactly right. Is Handbrake fairly idiot proof? I heard it was ditched few years ago. I'll give it a go. There isn't loads of bloated software and one of those ones that changes your search engine even when we tick no type thing is it?

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

First, I'm going to restrict my commentary to the use case presented: Home-recorded DVDs on a commercial "VCR-like" DVD recorder or DVD camcorder on DVD-R or DVD-RW disc. I am *NOT* going to cover Hollywood-release commercial movie DVDs bought from a store.

Recordings from these type of devices record DVD-standard MPEG-2 codec video in to a standard folder format.

Apple DVD Player can play these "folders" just fine - just drag the contents of the DVD to a folder.

Likewise, Apple DVD Player can play a disc image of the DVD, created with OS X-standard Disk Utility.

Both of these methods produce "perfect DVD copies" - with menu systems and all. In addition to that, it takes essentially only the amount of time to copy the data off the DVD (so you're limited ONLY by the speed of your DVD drive.)

But both of these options produce files/folders that are fairly large compared to other compression methods. Modern codecs like AVC (also called H.264) or even the older MPEG-4, or the newer H.265, can compress a video down to 1/4 the size of MPEG-2, with no perceptible loss in quality.

That is where utilities like Handbrake excel. They read the raw video off the DVD's folder structure, and convert it to a more highly-compressed single .m4v file. This file cannot be read by Apple DVD Player, and doesn't have the DVD menu structure, but it takes a lot less space. (Generally 1/4 the size.) This takes more time, as you're limited not just by the speed of the DVD drive, but by how fast your computer can transcode the file.

But if you're just wanting to "watch the content that's on my DVD without the DVD in the drive," Handbrake or similar are a great option.

And yes, Handbrake has gotten a lot better in recent years. The latest versions even take advantage of Intel's "QuickSync" technology in its latest CPUs to make the transcoding process *MUCH* faster. (For example, using 16 CPU threads (8 physical cores and 8 virtual "HyperThreading" cores,) on a dual-socket, quad-core-per-socket Xeon 5500-series workstation gets me about 15-30 frames per second transcoding 1080p video. But using a dual core Core i3 4000-series with QuickSync, it gets 80-100 frames per second.)

14. dyt1983, Mar 18, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

15. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that, and yes, it's all home recorded DVDs, no pre recorded, so hopefully it will copy into 1 file which is what I'm after.

Was going to ask about the discs with several shows on so that's also very handy, thanks again

16. Peter Franks, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

What is this m4v file, it calls it an MP4 on the drop down on Handbrake, but I have MP4 files on my USB stick which show up and this one doesn't.

When I converted this show from the DVD on to Handbrake and used the MP4 setting, (as it was either that or MKV, and I assumed it used less space than MKV), I then put on the USB and the file isn't even visible when I plugged it into the telly. Any ideas on that one? Total mystery, and that telly plays every file I've ever thrown at it. It shows when I plug into the MBP though.

Any tips on all those settings that I have no idea what any mean in Handbrake, constant quality, variable framerate, constant framerate, encoder options, video codec etc? I'm getting a lined screen in some parts and feel sure it's something to do with the settings

P.S. Is it normal for an 1 hour 30 minute DVD conversion on handbrake which took about 10 minutes to convert, to use over 50% of the MBP battery?

17. dyt1983, Mar 25, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

18. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks, is MKV better or worse quality than MP4, or AVI, and that codec 264 or 265, and MPEG 4 is not worth worrying about?

In all honesty, I have read bits and pieces but it means nothing to me because you can either compute that stuff or you can't.. :cool: I can't

Any idea why it puts another copy of the file in your iTunes folder in a folder called 'Home Movies' as well? Seems bit unnecessary as it's already in downloads

19. dyt1983, Mar 26, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

20. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, it did save one to my desktop, and it also put one in iTunes folders. Only by pure accident I found it in that iTunes folder the following day... I'd never had known under normal circumstances

Thanks loads for your help, and your easy to understand analogy, even for a technophobe like myself, to be able to comprehend!....