What Filesystem works both in mac and xp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by harry454, Nov 9, 2008.

1. harry454 macrumors 6502

hi I have a external HDD and I want to share files between Mac and Xp these files are over 8 gbs each what file system can OSX write to and what can xp read from?

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

FAT32, which if you're formatting the drive on your Mac via Disk Utility is called MS-DOS.

Attached Files:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Doesn't FAT32 have a file size limit, that sort of kills it for use if you are looking at 8+GB files?

Unless you want to ZIP them into several pieces.

There is always http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/ or looking at some of the NTFS RW upgrades for Mac OS X. I think someone was playing with a beta here on the site.

Edit: though if you want from your Mac to any PC, it is a bit different since Mac Drive must be on each PC to read HFS+

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

FAT32 is cross platform so any OS can use it.unfortunately FAT32 has a file size limit of 4 GB.

you can format your external drive to HFS and then use MacDrive to allow read/write support in Windows or NTFS and then use Mac Fuse + NTFS3g to allow write support in Mac OS X.

simply put:

- FAT32 (MS-DOS) is cross platform but has a 4 GB file size limit.
    - NTFS is read/write in Windows and only read in Mac OS X. install Mac Fuse + NTFS3g to add write support in Mac OS X
    - HFS (Mac OS Extended) is only read/write in Mac OS X. use MacDrive to add read/write to Windows.

5. harry454 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

MacDrive is pretty sweet... I've used it and works well.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yep it is pretty smooth, but also provides access to your Mac partitions/drives if you manage to get data destructive malware on the PC side, so extra care is certainly called for.