What film work do you do?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iMacZealot, Sep 30, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm interested--- what is the subject of your films? What sort of camera do you have? What do you edit on? What is your workflow?

As for me, I mostly film my brother's band. They are rather well-known and are signed to a major record label. I'm 15, and I film them and their shows (or their manager does and sends his tapes to me), and I edit it into a video diary, and it's pushed onto their website and is neglected. I'm working off of a Canon ZR80 and a Sony DC36, which isn't much at all. I've used Final Cut Express on my iMac G5 for the last two years, and I just purchased Final Cut Studio 2, but I'm drowning in it. My graphics are still being made in PowerPoint and LiveType. I just don't know how I should approach FCS.

The record label and their manager don't really understand the potential of the video diaries. I only do about three or four of them a year, which I think they should have me cranking out two or three a month from more material. I also want to put them on YouTube because that would get their band out there more, but record labels execs are truly asses when it comes to marketing.

In my spare time, I've tried to do something scripted, but I'm terrible at creative writing and I can never find any actors.

What kind of work do you do?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The Apple Pro Training series books are really very good. I highly recommend you get at least a couple of them for the main applications that you will be using.

I'm mainly interested in effects but I like to do documentaries when I find something interesting. But mostly it is for my own enjoyment than anything particularly serious.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would just start playing with it that's i got my feet wet with it.
    Are you run FCS2 off your iMac?

4. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Have you read Robert Rodriguez's book, "Rebel Without a Crew"? It's really great for ambitious young filmmakers like yourself – it's his diary that he kept while making El Mariachi, his first feature (yes, for the fabled $7,000). There's also his 10 Minute Film School, which is short and sweet.

Both are really pretty inspiring (basically because of Rodriguez's determination & enthusiasm) when it comes to actually going out there and doing it – making your own movies, with what you have around you. No actors? No problem, make a movie with your dog. Tell his story. No dog? Well, borrow your town's evening newscasters. Do a stop-motion short with your shoes. Tell the story that you can tell right now....

There's plenty of other stuff out there when you're getting into narrative filmmaking, but the important thing to keep in mind is to just get out there and do it. :D

Good luck with everything!

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Yes, surprisingly. I don't quite have the money for a MacBook Pro (or let alone a Mac Pro), and I don't want to use my mom's brand new 24" iMac because I feel that it is hers. I also don't know whether I should save for a MBP or save for something like an HV20--- both my computer and cameras need to be seriously upgraded.

I've been playing around with Motion just to make simple lower thirds graphics--- but I'm lost.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

most of the film work i do is with actual film; Super-8 and ocassionally 16mm to be exact. i have a Bauer Royal 8E that i shoot with, and usually get developed and telecine'd onto DV tapes to work with in FCP. all my work is experimental/nonrepresentational (much like my still film work on 120mm medium format film) as i do not have the skills to make a linear narrative type film.

digital stuff i do with a consumer grade Canon miniDV camera that i have not really picked up in a while, tho im getting some ideas of things i want to shoot.

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

8. AstrayCliche macrumors member

My personal projects vary in both content and format. Mostly narrative, though.

Outside of that I do a lot of Grip/Electric for local independent shoots and camera on real small shoots. Recently I've been doing a lot more post production color grading work. I like being involved in all sorts of different aspects, but I think I might try and stick with this post prod thing.

9. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I work at a multimedia company and shoot and edit video, I work on projects from informational dvds, promotional video, corporate video, TV commercials and soon a documentary and a feature film.
    We shoot on primarily a new sony PDW-F350 hd xdcam with a little older Sony HVR Z1U HDV prosumer camera as our b-camera. Soon we will be getting an XDCAM EX when it is released to be our new b-camera(we still need the prosumer size for our jib and glidecam). We also have a RED ONE on order, I believe that should be coming in around December.
    We have a small shooting studio and a bunch of kinoflos and lowell's and backdrops(including green screen)
    We edit in final cut and have 2 mac pro edit stations.

videographer, editor, glidecam operator, jib operator, dolly grip, grip, lamp op, etc... I do a lot of things at my job, those are just some of the video oriented ones.

10. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I make high-def podcasts about Taiwan, all on iTunes and at http://www.brightbunnypictures.co.uk

I use a Canon HV20, edit with Final Cut Studio 2 all on a Macbook Pro C2D 2Gb

Before that I worked in London making viral ads, short films and corporate stuff. But I much like filming and editing my own work. :rolleyes:

11. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

short documentaries, sketches, etc. for an organisation I work with (youth council) all on a very amateuristic level
    some plans for making larger scale short films.

I normally shoot with a decent digital8 camera, edit on my Macbook with FCE (and iMovie 08 occasionally)

distribution via the web or, when it's for the youth council it is mostly made for one specific event (meeting or reception,...)

12. bkvideography macrumors member