What folders do all your old text message go after they have been deleted?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iphonepimp2, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

As far as I know - nowhere. Maybe it's there in a backup on your computer, but that would be it.

2. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

if they are deleted.....they are probably gone......

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

you trying to catch a significant other texting someone? :)

4. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

ha, i was thinking the EXACT same thing

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i bet that's the case...he got off pretty quick and his post was VERY short and deliberate

6. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

You can pull down the sms database on your iPhone if you jailbreak it. It's a single file and can be opened by tons of free database clients.

7. still in school macrumors 6502

real pimps don't wouldn't even sweat it because they would already have the next one lined up :cool:

8. Cardiiiii macrumors member

Care to share some?

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

but this would be pointless as the text would be deleted wouldn't it

10. Kayan macrumors 6502

Not necessarily. That is the whole principle on which Data Restoration software for corrupted/deleted hard drives operate. Things are never "truly deleted" in the digital world, it's just that when computers "delete" something, all they do is stop pointing their reference at it, so the computer "forgets" it exists because it's no longer referred to, however it still can be recovered in many cases. It's magic to me too.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

But what you are talking about is far more than just opening up the database in a db client. Andybno1 is correct about Sparky9292's suggestion: it's not going to work because the text messages have been deleted from the file. Forensic data recovery is another matter (and doesn't come cheap).

12. Kayan macrumors 6502

I've already said all I know about this but it would seem to me that if there existed a folder/file with the information from SMS, and one was able to fully obtain it, then accordingly it could be recovered. People have recovered worse things.
    (and "forensic"? Haha, is he investigating a crime from someone's SMS messages?)

13. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Certain programs can recover deleted (or lost) data from hard drives. You are correct, in essentials, that deleting something only removes the pointer from the bytes of data. If the specific address in the memory has been overwritten again, though, it makes it much harder to recover.

For all intents and purposes, the deleted text messages are gone. My advice to the OP: Find someone you trust a little bit more, next time.