What folders should I save before reformat

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dsyroi, Jun 18, 2008.

1. dsyroi macrumors member

I'm currently moving files off my Intel iMac, 10.4. (10?) in Target Disk Mode prior to trying a reformat and reinstall (archive and reinstall didn't work). I'm just not sure which system files I should be trying to save so that I can get some of my settings back after the reinstall. I backed up the Library folder that is in my user folder, but not sure what else to try and back up. Any input would be appreciated.

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

what kinda of "settings" are you trying to keep? Have you already gotten all you important document files, music, etc. ?

3. mediaguru macrumors regular

The Library folder, specifically the Preferences sub-folder will contain most custom settings for your apps. Most settings for applications are user-specific and will live under the Library folder inside your home directory ( ~/Library, where ~ is your username). Remember, however that there is also a system-wide Library in the top level of your Mac's hard disk.

4. dsyroi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking I probably won't know what I'm trying to save until I'm back up and running and realize what I don't have anymore, if that makes any sense :) Haven't had to deal with a problem like this before.

I tried to back up the Library folder on the top level of the hard drive, but for some reason it didn't want to transfer. I'm worried that this will sound silly when I describe it, but when I tried to copy the folder from my iMac to the working computer, the transfer just kept slowing down to pretty much a stall. I cancelled and tried the transfer a few times, and it was the same each time. I went back to copying other folders, and had no problems. I can't see any reason for this, but thought if I didn't need that folder I would just give it up.

Another question - once I get my iMac running again, do I just replace the new user Library folder with the original one that I've backed up?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

heres a page from Apple describing what to backup. its for Tiger but should be the same for Leopard.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301239#key

yep replace all the folders within your Library with the ones that you backed up (dont replace the whole as you probably didnt backup every folder in your Library).

6. dsyroi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated. If anyone can provide further advice about the top level Library folder, i.e. are there files that I will need from that folder, I would welcome the input.

7. mediaguru macrumors regular

Almost all settings you care about will be in your personal, user-level Library. However, some data such as license keys for software and other multi-user info is stored inside the root-level Library. Also, add-ons such as Safari Input Managers are often stored inside this Library. More than likely, you will not need these files, but I make it a practice to scan quickly through the /Library/Preferences folder to make sure.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

All of them.

Edit: then use the Migration Assistant to bring the user account (and its associated files/apps/settings) back in.

9. dsyroi thread starter macrumors member