Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poohat1000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
London
i have two flash drives, both identical. oneworks on both - the other says "device not recognised" when plugged into PC - i'm guessing this is due to the format the drive is in?

Is it possible to use disk Utility to erase the drive to a different format that will make it work on both pc and macintosh?

Cheers

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
Yes, you can use Disk Utility. You'd best format it to FAT32, which can be read and written on by Macs and PCs.

poohat1000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
London
wow thanks for the quick responce guys -

ummm

- how do i do it?

these are the options i see in "erase"

picturpz8.jpg

im using 10.3 here at work tho, was this something added only in 10.4?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I don't have 10.3 around to check, but you're probably clicking on the volume rather than the device; if you look in the list at left, there are devices (the physical disk) listed, with volumes (what the computer sees) indented under them.

If you click on the device rather than what's indented under it, that same popup should give you the option to do MS-DOS. If that's not working, try clicking the device, going to the Partition tab, selecting "1 Partition" from the popup at left, and then see if MS-DOS appears in the popup at right; it should.

poohat1000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
London
so i am, you genius mate - thanks so much :)

edit:

ok i did MS_DOS file system

but now its not showing up in teh finder - only Disk U :S?

edit2:disregard that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.