what format do you rip your music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Jan 7, 2015.

?

What quality do you rip your music collection in?

1. Apple Itunes+ (default option)

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Apple lossless

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Other

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Not sure where to place this topic in the forum, figured I would get the most results here.

2. seinman macrumors regular

If I'm ripping myself, I use Apple Lossless. If I'm downloading or purchasing, I get FLAC and then convert to Apple Lossless. When I sync to my iPhone, I set it to automatically convert to 192k AAC to save space on my device. I only use my iPhone to listen in the car, so I can't hear the difference in quality.

3. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I use 256kbps m4a for most music. If it's classical music, I rip a FLAC file to apple lossless.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

AAC 320kbps. Otherwise I keep things I buy digitally intact.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nearly all of my music purchases are digital download these days. if ALAC is offered, I'll get that. Otherwise, the best available AAC format, which usually ends up being iTunes Match level (256Kbps).

In the rare case I can only find something on CD, I'll rip to 256k AAC.

6. Paco II macrumors 65816

As music moves more and more to pure streaming, it dawns on me that thinking about audio file quality will soon seem as strange as owning CDs

7. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Pretty much my case, when I got my first iPhone 4 in 2011 I had a lot of CDs I ripped to AAC, but then switched.

8. seinman macrumors regular

Then we'll just be discussing the audio quality difference between various streaming services. I already do this with my wife. When she plays something in the car, I can tell if it's Pandora or iTunes Radio, because iTunes Radio sounds so much better.

9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Apple Lossless. And I put it on my 128gb Iphone 6 plus in the same format, But at least if you go full lossless you have a choice because you can have ITunes copy it to the device at a lower bitrate, I've listened to both Lossless and compressed and the lossless just has so much better openness in the soundstage and less brashness in the highs.

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

256kbps MP3. I like putting my things in the most common format and due to old habits.

11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

This. I buy cd's and rip to Apple Lossless. I don't downgrade when I put it on my phone though. With 128GB phone, and don't worry about it. I have only a small portion of my library on my phone- 1465 songs.

I work as a sound tech and the difference between 192 and lossless when my phone is plugged into my car stereo is noticeable- to me.

There is a very big difference. I agree. The rip sounds so much better near CD quality then compressed.

I can understand that thinking. I had listened to only mp3's for years and one day popped a CD into my car stereo- didn't even know if the CD player still worked- and the sound quality was so much better. I went home, brought up my 300+ CDs from the basement and reripped everything in lossless.

12. newellj macrumors 601

If I'm ripping it myself from a CD, I usually use the default setting because (1) I don't look for hi-fi playback from iTunes-sync'd devices and (2) I can always re-rip if I want a better quality file.

13. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

This thread is hysterically funny. They are talking about listening to rock and roll on a pair of dirt cheap headphones on your phone and you are worried about the sound quality of the rip???? I may hurt myself laughing.

14. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I encode in ALAC for my rips but enjoy the iTunes Plus quality tracks I download from the store.