What format does iMovie 08 compress for YouTube?

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
iMovie 08 seems to have a "YouTube" option which will compress video for YouTube.

I'm curious as to what formats/settings it uses? Does it look good on YouTube?

It's always a mystery how to compress for YouTube, so I'm wondering how iMovie does it, since it seems like Apple would have some inside info about that.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I would imagine they are using h.264 as that is what Apple TV, the iPhone etc. use when playing videos.

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I would imagine they are using h.264 as that is what Apple TV, the iPhone etc. use when playing videos.
In Quicktime container or MP4? What bitrate does it use for video and audio? What resolution? Framerate? Does it letterbox 16:9 content to 4:3 or leave it intact? Stuff like that.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
In Quicktime container or MP4? What bitrate does it use for video and audio? What resolution? Framerate? Does it letterbox 16:9 content to 4:3 or leave it intact? Stuff like that.
1) mp4 I would guess
2) not sure about video but audio used to be reduced to very very low bitrate mono.
3) 320x240 used to be the max it would re-encode to not sure if its higher now because of the appletv. I am sure its at least a tad higher.
4) 30ish
5) letterbox unless its changed since i uploaded some stuff.

It's been a while since ive actively used youtube for more than the ocasional vid so all this may have changed.