What format does iWork '08 Keynote save into?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by equalsabracket, Nov 23, 2008.

1. equalsabracket macrumors regular

A few months ago my dad started the trial of iWork '08 and then never used it so now i am able to use it but not able to save. If i'm going to consider buying it, i need to know what formats it can save into. Can i get presentations to be compatible with windows in any way for when i have to do presentations at college and things like that?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can export it as a PDF, a proprietary keynote file, a quicktime movie,flash video, png images, a website or a powerpoint presentation.

3. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

If i export it as a powerpoint presentation or any of the others, will it lose the effects?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It might, but it will give you a warning if it does.

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

In most cases, you can change the qualifier "might" to "will"
    Most of Keynote's animations are proprietary (cool, but proprietary...) so you will most likely lose them when saving to .ppt
    Oh, and they will disappear when you go to .pdf, not sure about quicktime...

As per above, though, it will warn you if that does happen...

Overall, if you use Keynote it is probably best to either present with YOUR hardware, or from another mac that for sure has the same version of iWork. Just use Powerpoint (or Oo_O) if you have to present on anything else. Nothing kills a meeting/speech/presentation more than technical difficulties. Especially in the PC-centric business world (they'll eat you alive :D)

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Exporting to QT basically creates a movie file which can still be navigated by clicking if I remember correctly. I did this once and it worked fine.

7. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Yes, exporting as a QuickTime movie preserves the transitions, and the movie will advance when clicked. :cool: