Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Hi :)

I want to make DVD back-up's of my Lord of the Rings boxset that I recently purchased, that will play on my DVD player so I won't have to use the original discs in case they get damaged.

I used Handbrake to rip the first DVD to mp4 format but what format does it have to be in to burn to DVD? (I have Toast 11 and it allows me to convert files)

Any of these the right ones for the best quality?

Digital Video
High-Definition Video
H.264 Player
MPEG-4 Player
Quick Time Movie
DivX Plus HD
MKV

I have searched and couldn't really find what I am looking for.

I hope someone can help, thanks :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why not use the copy function of Toast Titanium?
No need for conversion, but you may need Double Layer DVD -/+ R media for that, as most commercial video DVDs have a capacity of 7.9GiB (8.5GB).

mmduluth

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
You can burn the mp4 to DVD using Toast or you can use RipIt which is what I use, and it will rip it into a Video_TS folder that you can burn using Toast. Don't know about other DVD burning software as Toast is the only thing I've ever used.

iMackPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
when i download blu rays online they come in MKV files so i just choose that file when i rip. i have no idea if its the best or not but it looks okay. id like to know the answer to this question too someone answer!

Nov 28, 2010
located
when i download blu rays online they come in MKV files so i just choose that file when i rip. i have no idea if its the best or not but it looks okay. id like to know the answer to this question too someone answer!

.mkv is the container/format, like .avi or .mov. A container can use a variety of codecs, .mkv files usually us H.264 or x.264 to store the video. If the person encoding the original Blu Ray did a proper job, then an .mkv file is usually the best option, as it can contain several video and audio tracks and also several subtitle tracks in one file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.