What Format for Secondary HDD? (2011 iMac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by henryonapple, Aug 31, 2015.

1. henryonapple macrumors 6502

I just finished upgrading my 2011 27" iMac with a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Panasonic Blu-Ray Drive, and WD Green 3TB HDD. My question is, what format should the secondary HDD be (FAT, exFAT, Mac OS Journaled)? I'm using the secondary drive strictly for storage.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

3. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

something went wrong, my secondary hard drive can't be used or erased now. I've attached a photo for reference. Can anyone help? I think this is a Yosemite thing?
    Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 11.33.37 PM.png

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It looks like somehow the 3TB drive was converted to a core storage volume. Did you format it to the encrypted format?

Run the command below in Terminal and post the results? Is there data on there you need, or can we wipe the 3TB?

Code:
    diskutil cs list

5. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion but I already tried this and the 3TB didn't show the necessary volume to run the terminal code for it to revert back to the original format. However, I actually solved this problem last night by installing the latest beta of El Capitan. The Utility Disk in El Capitan saw the 3TB as unformatted and I was able to erase the drive as usual. Thank you for your contributions in this thread!