What format should I make my micro SD so I can use it on Mac and Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I have a micro SD from Samsung 64GB.

I can see the files on it when I'm running Mac but when I switch to Windows 7 in boot camp I can't see the files.

It is exFAT format.

This is on my MBPr 13" running 10.9.3.

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

exFat is compatible with both OS X and Windows.
    Have you got the drivers installed for the card reader in Windows? i.e. does it see the card and just doesn't see the files?

Barney

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

The card shows up but my files aren't showing.

I can see the files (pictures, documents, etc) on the micro SD in Mac but when I switch over to Windows in boot camp I can't see them. When I click on the drive the folder opens and is empty.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Windows 7 does not fully support exFAT.

Windows 8/8.1 fully support exFAT.

5. Nermal, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's very strange. Did you format the card on your Mac? Despite the post above, I haven't had any trouble with using a formatted-on-Mac (edit: MBR) exFAT drive under Windows 7 (or even XP for that matter).

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Windows 7 fully supports ExFat, along with an updated XP and Vista. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/iplicensing/programs/exfatfilesystem.aspx

However, I have had issues with ExFat showing on both if it was formatted from Disk utility on OS X, but if you format it with Windows, it's fine and will work on both. I'd save what you have, then boot to windows and format it there.

7. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

I always use NTFS format.
    And I use the application, Paragon NTFS for Mac Os X.

You run the program once in Os X, set it to run, then forget about it. You can then read/write NTFS formatted drives like you would on windows.

You can Google it.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You could try formatting it to FAT32. Just make sure to back up your files first. One thing to note though is that FAT32 has a file size limit (I believe you cannot transfer a file bigger than 4GB).

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi guys

I reformatted my micro SD (exFAT) on Windows and it is working. I am able to see my files on both OS's.

I suppose I had formatted it using OS X, which may have been the problem.

Thanks!

10. MatsSkoe, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014

MatsSkoe macrumors member

MatsSkoe

Be sure to safely remove your SD card on OS X. Else it can become unrecognizable for windows, then the solution is to put it in a Mac and safely remove it yet again. Unsafely removing in windows doesn't seem to give that many problems.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Modern versions of Windows essentially go through the "safe unmount" automatically after every operation (this makes it a bit slower). Microsoft apparently got sick of people yanking drives without ejecting them :)

12. MatsSkoe macrumors member

MatsSkoe

Ahh that explains it! Thanks. Normally I 'eject' the external drives, however when my MBA is closed with the eHDD connected and I have to leave, I don't feel like opening it, ejecting the drives, disconnecting the eHDD and than packing my stuff. So sometimes it causes problems, for example once I really thought I corrupted my encrypted Time Machine partition. :eek:

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It's a nice feature of windows that I wished OSX had :/

14. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I've had the same issues myself. If I copied large amounts of data to an exFAT drive formatted by OS X, corruption would occur. No such problem if the same drive were formatted by Windows.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Same. While it's not a big deal to eject, I would like to not worry about doing that every time.

16. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I probably did something horribly wrong but I've had some bad experiences with Paragon:( Worked great at first, I mainly used it to transfer files onto my Windows 7 partition. But after sometime it kept corrupting that partition:( I'd restore the partition from a back up but if I tried to transfer files to it Windows would refuse to boot

17. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

This is why I generally steer clear of 3rd party apps.

I stick with only the trusted ones like Chrome.